News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Diezel VH4 "Galaxy Drive"

Started by Andlord, August 25, 2017, 06:49:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andlord

Hallo guys and gals,

Just wanted to share this prototype build. Since I've been offering these PCBs I just wanted to get it verified by myself so I build it with the stuff I had at hand.
The OP amp supposed to be an OPA2134 but those are kind of rare in local electronics stores so I subd it with a TL072. The zener Diodes are also different types but mine are also 5,6v zener so they should be close enough.
I had no 1590bb at hand so I took the only sturdy box I had at hand that was big enough. It's the box the first Samsung Galaxy Phone came in so once it gets a proper box I'll give it the name "GALAXY Drive".
Also the wires are really sloppy, i wanted to finish it up quick so I could test it before my sons bed time :D

For the prototype I did not mount a jack for the output that goes straight into the Poweramp but I'll do it on the real build.

The sound is superb. I had it in front of my Madamp, into a fender style channel and is just so brutal. It's tight and has a solid bottom end (a bit too much for my taste but I can dile it down to a level where i like it). I was afraid that it would be a bit too close to the BE OD but it is not. I'm looking forward to put that baby in front of my SLO Clone and cranck it.

Ps: I used greenies for the caps but since I won't have pots underneath the pcb I mounted them on the other side, with the switch on board there is a lot of unused space underneath and I wanted to avoid having problems with the lid in a real 1590bb

BrianS

Looks good. Still collecting parts for mine.  How does it sound?

Matt

Matt

mjg

Does it come in an iPhone version?  :P

Andlord

Quote from: BrianS on August 25, 2017, 11:11:57 PM
How does it sound?

It's awesome. I never played the VH4 so I cannot compare. The controls are super powerful.
It sounds super tight. You can easily dial in sounds like the modern Metallica or Tool. With that much bottom end I ended up with a great sludgy tone, not muddy. Takes low Tunings really well, I tried Drop B. Actually it handels low tunings better than the Drive channel of my amp(it is dual rec based)
I'm happy with it and it will get a box and a place on my pedalboard as soon as possible.

Andlord

Quote from: mjg on August 26, 2017, 06:47:27 AM

Sure but it costs twice as much, has two knobs less and it comes cast in epoxy because screw customization :D

Coda-effects

Quote from: Andlord on August 26, 2017, 06:54:40 AM
Quote from: mjg on August 26, 2017, 06:47:27 AM

Sure but it costs twice as much, has two knobs less and it comes cast in epoxy because screw customization :D

:D :D :D
Very nice build!

oip

haha that enclosure!  leave it in there!  great looking PCB and the design sounds very interesting, anything that doesn't fart out at low tunings i am all for.