News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Delyk Cherry Pie / Drolo Twin Peaks

Started by dannoceti, January 22, 2017, 11:43:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timko

I am starting on the design for a Twin Peaks enclosure after finishing populating the drolo board.  The delyk board is TINY!  The artwork here looks great too. 

Did you find the roll-your-own Vactrols to your liking in this build?  Just Tayda LDRs and red LEDs?  I ask because I have yet to put that component on my board and was planning to go in the same direction.

cajone5

Addy Bart

Quote from: Timko on January 24, 2017, 07:25:15 AM
I am starting on the design for a Twin Peaks enclosure after finishing populating the drolo board.  The delyk board is TINY!  The artwork here looks great too. 

Did you find the roll-your-own Vactrols to your liking in this build?  Just Tayda LDRs and red LEDs?  I ask because I have yet to put that component on my board and was planning to go in the same direction.

I used white LEDs with GL5516 LDRs from eBay (on the recommendation of David Rolo). They are cheap and work great. Solder two legs of the LDRs together for each vactrol. Here's a quick demo of how they sound in the cherry pie:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=607hTfnESwY

Timko

Quote from: Addy Bart on January 24, 2017, 01:11:22 PM
Quote from: Timko on January 24, 2017, 07:25:15 AM

I used white LEDs with GL5516 LDRs from eBay (on the recommendation of David Rolo). They are cheap and work great. Solder two legs of the LDRs together for each vactrol. Here's a quick demo of how they sound in the cherry pie:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=607hTfnESwY

Why am I soldering 2 legs together?  I had to do that on my phaser (it had 2 LDRs per LED), but on this one I'm not sure why I'd do that.

Addy Bart

I presume it's to increase the resistance. It was suggested by drolo on this forum.

kaycee

That's beautiful, would love to build one of those.

Timko

Quote from: Addy Bart on January 24, 2017, 03:34:31 PM
I presume it's to increase the resistance. It was suggested by drolo on this forum.

I asked David about this and he didn't know what it was for.

drolo

Addy Bart

drolo

just to avoid any confusion, the thing with connecting 2 LDR's together was to emulate the VTL5C3/2 dual optocouplers used in the liquid mercury:

For the Twin Peaks you just need a regular optocoupler, composed of one LDR and one LED.

Boba7

This is absolutely stunning. What a great looking pedal. Congrats!!

Timko

Quote from: drolo on February 03, 2017, 03:22:19 AM
just to avoid any confusion, the thing with connecting 2 LDR's together was to emulate the VTL5C3/2 dual optocouplers used in the liquid mercury:

For the Twin Peaks you just need a regular optocoupler, composed of one LDR and one LED.

Ok, that makes sense. And I did something similar on my phaser build. Thanks for the response!

trotel

Wow- I really like the color and design you did.  Quite impressive!

I'm starting to build one of these and wondering how you did the artwork layout.  Might you be able to point me to an example or template?  Especially for the waveshape and multipliers- seems like this is tricker than other designs I've done.

trotel

Wow- I really like the color and design you did.  Quite impressive!

I'm starting to build one of these and wondering how you did the artwork layout.  Might you be able to point me to an example or template?  Especially for the waveshape and multipliers- seems like this is tricker than other designs I've done.