News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

A day of small beginnings...

Started by nzCdog, January 24, 2017, 11:30:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nzCdog

I'm going back to school... again! ;D

After years of waiting, this semester I finally start my electronic engineering degree!  Specifically the 'Bachelor of Electrical and Electronic Engineering (Hons)' at the University of Canterbury here in Christchurch...  Big thanks to my bosses, who have been really supportive and allowed me to start part-time.  I AM SO PUMPED!   
I really wanted to share it here with you Madbeaners because pedal-building was an important catalyst in me discovering my new direction, I ended up changing career 5 years ago when I did some pre-trade training and now work as an electronic technician.   I'm really looking forward to stretching the grey matter, although it may mean the pedal builds will slow down even further.  Obviously a bit gushy right now so scuse me.

Yay for learning stuff...  Woo! ;D

juansolo

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

stringsthings

All You Need Is Love

miha

Cool stuff, enjoy your studies! I have to agree that this place is a pretty strong influence, I just couldn't stand not understanding the techy posts, and seeing how other people have such a clear idea of what's going on, led me to believe that this stuff is not some voodoo magic and thanks to the people here, I started studying EE as well.

flanagan0718

This is great! Congrats man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

matmosphere

Congrats man! Go learn some science!

Adam_DIY

Awesome I'd love to go back to uni

cajone5

Best of luck!  I wish I had the time for another degree.  As it is I'm about 5.5 years into a part-time PhD (structural engineering) and struggling to stay motivated.  My only advice is to keep your foot on the gas.  Don't get complacent and don't "take breaks".  It is so hard to regain the momentum, especially towards the end.   :-\  But that's totally awesome.  I'm truly envious!

jkokura

I think I saw that on Facebook the other day. Congrats Corey, that sounds like fun.

Then you can come teach all of us here all the things we wish we knew.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

culturejam

Congrats! Don't forget all us little people when you make it to the big time.  8)
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

nzCdog

Thanks for the encouragement bros!   :)
Miha... all the best with your studies too man.
Cajone5, thanks for the tips.  It's gonna take some time, I hope to transition to full-time towards the end of the degree... perhaps.

GermanCdn

Congrats and enjoy.  I sometimes wish I'd gone for my Engineering degree (Mech) later in life (as in not straight out of high school), as I probably would have been a better student and more focused.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

nzCdog

Thanks Curtis... Just realised that it's likely I'll be graduating the same time as my son, (If he goes straight to University after high school) ZOMG ;D

Bret608

Congrats, Corey! I don't blame you for being gushy and good on you for taking the plunge.

By the way, I passed through Christchurch in November after landing there post-North Island jaunt. We got to see very little of the city, unfortunately! Instead of making our leisurely way up the east coast to Kaikoura, due to the earthquake there, we pretty much had to high-tail it over Arthur's Pass to Greymouth and then up to Nelson. This was to avoid a torrent of hotel rebookings.

nzCdog

Thanks Bret... Wow I'm glad you weren't harmed by the quake!  It was a stroke of the Lord's kindness that it hit when it did... in the middle of the night when almost no-one was on the roads, it could have been an absolute disaster if it had happened 12 hours earlier or later, those highways around Kaikoura were coverd in mountain rubble :(

I hope you enjoyed your South Island adventure all the same :)