News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Opto Comp.

Started by JakeFuzz, August 15, 2011, 09:45:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JakeFuzz

A Bajaman Compulator. Blue hammertone finish. Wanted to use other Davies knobs but they turned out too big for this enclosure. My really crappy phone cam helps to hide my bad wiring skills  :D

Uses a VTL5C10 and a OPA2111 as the signal amp. I etched and drilled the board a while ago.

How does it sound? I am not convinced yet. Super transparent sounding, I do get some distortion on certain notes and settings. I really need to play around with the internal gain control more; it makes the volume drop a ton when the compression is way up. Gets crazy squishy at extreme settings but the volume drop is well below unity, which is making me mad  >:(

nzCdog

Those knobs looks great!  Good luck tweaking the beast :)

JakeFuzz

Quote from: nzCdog on August 15, 2011, 10:28:35 PM
Those knobs looks great!  Good luck tweaking the beast :)

I wish they were real aluminum  :'(   I had to run to rat shack at the last minute to pick up some knobs that would fit. These matched the best. They are nice and heavy though...

cab_eleven

Those knobs do look good on that pedal. Score one for the shack.

gtr2

"The Shack" haha... here's how my visit usually goes.

Enter radio shack aka "the shack"

Sales clerk:  "Hello, can I help you find something today?"

Me: "No, I know where to go for what I'm looking for."

Sales clerk: "Ok, let me know if you need any help."

Me: "OK"

I proceed to the dark corner in the back, considered by some "nerd kingdom".  Once again, I am unsuccessful in my hunt.

Exiting radio shack aka "the shack"

Sales clerk:  "Did you find what you were looking for today?"

Me: "No, you don't carry any 6k8 resistors."

Sales clerk:  "Oh, did you check the hardware store down the road.  They carry stuff like that."

Me: "No they don't carry what I'm looking for.  I usually have to source online because people don't DIY anymore."

Sales clerk: "Oh, what are you building?"

Me: "Guitar effects."

Sales clerk:  "Oh like spaceships and stuff..."    ::)

Me: "Yeah, pretty close."  "Bye."

Sales clerk: "Bye, come again!"

Sorry, that was a horrible thread derail Jake.  Anyways, I love the build.  Hopefully you can sort out the bugs.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

JakeFuzz

Haha, that is so true. On the rare chance that they have something I need my register conversation also usually includes "What cell phone service provider do you have?" "I can get you a great deal on a phone or a wireless plan"  ::)   I swear some people shouldn't be allowed to use technology unless they understand how it works.

bigmufffuzzwizz

At least you know nobody's REing your creation! The blue hammertone looks fabulous on the other hand.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals