News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

How do make a drill template from a Diptrace board?

Started by Tuxedo3, January 27, 2017, 12:09:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tuxedo3

Hey guys, I finished a pedal I designed (that is based around a Blues Breaker if you can tell) that I couldn't be more proud of, I am just wondering how one would make a drill template from it? Here's the board.

juansolo

How I do it is that I import that into photoshop, then scale the board so the measurements match what they are in reality. Then drop them onto my regular 1590B (or whatever) template and use rulers to mark all the pots. It's actually quite simple, but you do need the measurements for the board. Also remember the board will be upside down from the diptrace when installed for labeling the pots so flip it horizontally in PS also. Doesn't really matter if it's symmetrical though.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

juansolo

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

gtr2

I don't use diptrace, but your origins for your potentiometer part should be on the pot shaft center not the center pad.  This is how you correctly space everything on a layout.  So you can measure center to center on your grid or whatever measurement tool is available.  Then when you go to do a drill plot you already have your dimensions.  It's also helpful to have a document reference of the outline of the pot case shape.

Keep up the great work!  Looks good!

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

davent

For three parts mounted to the pcb- quickly done using the pcb or real size printout, a ruler, pencil, paper & eraser.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Tuxedo3

Quote from: juansolo on January 27, 2017, 10:13:06 AM
Here you go.

Wow this was really helpful. Thanks so much. The board is symmetrical, I just took a snipping tool picture of the board that is why it seemed off.

Tuxedo3

Quote from: juansolo on January 27, 2017, 10:13:06 AM
Here you go.

Another question, how did you go about getting this template? Did you make it?

wgc

Actually even easier in Diptrace, though the advice above is faultless otherwise.

The pot usually includes the center mark for the shaft, enable it by right clicking the part and playing with the marking visibility options.  Make sure the board layers are all visible.  If that doesn't work, choose a different library pot in schematic via replace component, save and then update layout to schematic.  Right click is your friend.

Then, make sure the appropriate layers are visible, go to print preview, scale the view 100%, and print to printer (do not fit to margins!) and/or export as jpg. You can even set the resolution in the export settings. Easy!
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings