News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Sub-mini tube amps

Started by madbean, July 04, 2010, 04:55:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thomasha

Well, after murder one I tried to build my own tube amp combo...
based on jcm800 amplifier, using russian submini tubes, with PP triodes and LTP PI.
I used Dmitry's power amp schematic, and made a PTP layout using nails as turrets.
The speakers are old oval computer speakers, and I used a big muff tonestack instead of the TMB.
The power supply is the max1771 SMPS, from frequency central projects, and a 12V, 2A wall wart.
I made some videos with my crappy phone cam:

Clean sound

High gain

I think removing the 470pF caps across the grid stoppers would help with a little more low end.
Thomas

thomasha

Finally made some better pictures!

cheers

jubal81

That is outstanding! I want one!
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

jkokura

Love it! How loud does it get?

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

juansolo

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

billstein

Ettore_M

Awesome! I want to build something like this!  :D
Is this a full-tube amp? Does it have an output transformer?

Hector
" I would first try what I call The American Approach, which is simply this: "If X is good, then 2X simply HAS TO BE twice as good."  ;D "
- Culturejam

thomasha

Yes, it is an all-tube amp, the output transformer is a Hammond 125a, and i guess the full distorted volume has aprox. 1W

Some gut shots!

it's a small turret board build

and Schematic!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10420127/submini%20JCM800.pdf
Thomas

thomasha

Well, another one!
now a superfly in a 1590a!

Greetings
Thomas

aballen

Ok is anyone making a board for this?   I have a firefly, but I would love to build something smaller

thomasha

I think Frequency Central was interested in making some PCB's to sell.
this is a smaller version, and the build is a bit more difficult, to make all the components fit in such a little space.

If you're interested i can send you my layout, or the normal version.

culturejam

I was working with Rick on a PCB for the Murder One, but we never finished the project. I actually wanted to split it into two boards and have the charge pump and power tube on one board and the preamp on another. I think I might have finished the power board, but I can't remember. I just thought more people would find the modular approach useful.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Leevibe

Quote from: thomasha on May 10, 2014, 03:02:37 PM
Well, another one!
now a superfly in a 1590a!

Greetings
Thomas

Wow Thomas. That is a tight build man! Good job.

Quote from: culturejam on May 10, 2014, 09:55:59 PM
I was working with Rick on a PCB for the Murder One, but we never finished the project. I actually wanted to split it into two boards and have the charge pump and power tube on one board and the preamp on another. I think I might have finished the power board, but I can't remember. I just thought more people would find the modular approach useful.

I agree. I've thought about the same thing for a murder one 

thomasha

Hi, here comes the sound sample!

Cheers, Thomas

jubal81

Sounds great and I get the impression it's more than enough for jamming at home. Really great job.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair