News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Wet Sanding / polishng envirotex?

Started by Stomptown, February 04, 2017, 04:58:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stomptown

I finished a pedal with Envirotex the other day and there are a few bumps in the surface that I'd like sand and buff out. I'm pretty sure it can be done, but I don't know what to do exactly. Has anyone tried this?

AntKnee

I'm curious how the bumps got there. Are they specks of dust or debris? I have never sanded or polished ET, but I feel like it would be risky. It would be like sanding clear acrylic plastic. I dont know if you could ever get it truly transparent again. You may have to sand it completely off and start over. Sometimes if you can peel up a corner, you can pull the ET off in one piece. Let us know what happens, if you attempt to sand. I would like to know, myself.
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

Stomptown

I used a vinyl decal with adhesive and I think air bubbles beneath the decal caused the uneven surface but I'm not positive.  I searched other forums and it is ok to wet sand and polish but you need to apply another coat of envirotex to get a shiny finish.  They suggested using a small paint brush to apply a thin uniform layer, which is what I ended up doing and it worked great.

gordo

That's interesting.  Taken further, do you think it would be possible to brush on a single (or even a couple) of thin coats instead of pouring it, and getting it to self-level?
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

m-Kresol

Quote from: gordo on February 05, 2017, 06:47:47 PM
That's interesting.  Taken further, do you think it would be possible to brush on a single (or even a couple) of thin coats instead of pouring it, and getting it to self-level?

that would make covering the sides a lot more accessible. I need to try this.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

Stomptown

Quote from: gordo on February 05, 2017, 06:47:47 PM

Yeah, but there will be a threshold under which self leveling will not occur so it will take a bit of trial and error.  I've now successfully Envirotexed a 1590A with 9mm pots so it will definitely self level with a fairly limited volume.

bcalla

Quote from: m-Kresol on February 05, 2017, 07:35:01 PM
that would make covering the sides a lot more accessible. I need to try this.
I pour ET over the top and run it down the sides, then do vertical strokes with a foam brush to even the sides.  It's not perfect, but it's quite good.

AntKnee

I pour it on top a little at a time and spread around with a popsicle stick until there is just enough to self level.
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".