News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Need Help Cleaning ferric Chloride spill

Started by Fndr8875, February 23, 2017, 12:45:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fndr8875

so just what subject says, no need for a long exp of what happened, but a small amount, prob couple ounces. some is on carpet, some is on a bedside table.
Its on table top, small amount seeped in drawer below. Majority of it is on carpet. I used towel, and water to try to get up what i could. Also notice its smelling funky. Used household sprays to try to get rid of smell but doesnt seem to help. I did google search about smell and coudnt find anything. Surely im not the first one to make this mistake, any replies or suggestions much appreciated. Need to get it cleaned up quick, dont wanna lose my deposit, my lease is up in 6 days.

flanagan0718

I would try some oxy clean to clean up the Ferric Chloride. I would personally try and stay away from chemicals too. As for the smell, I recently used a 1:1 mixture of White Vinegar and Water to clean my couch and it worked pretty well. It no longer smells like this Jerk!

But I would look up online to see if Ferric Chloride will react with any of those first. I'm not a chemist.

-Mike-

Fndr8875

Thanks for quick reply! yea im gonna do some more googling once i get home. How did you apply solution? i assume ill need some kind of wet vac , or will it just neutralize the FC? Yea done with chemicals and making pcbs...had i known what i was getting into before hand i wouldnt have even started it. There is an insane amount of dust created from drilling and cutting FR4, at first i was doing it w decent lighting, but once i did it under a super bright led lamp i couldnt believe the spray of dust that is created. And the FC will stain the shit out of anything, i was pretty diligent wearing gloves and putting towels down and i still would find small dots here and there on shirt etc. I really enjoy hobby, but sourcing parts, troubleshooting, and getting enclosure to look good , at least for me, is incredibly time consuming. Ill still do some building, but i decided to build an ocd on perfboard, im about 3/4 the way done. I got a $25 gift card from ebay from a friend, and picked up a 1590A ENO trouble drive OCD clone for $22 bucks including shipping that arrived in 3 days. I did alot of research before buying, i was just about to pull the trigger on a good amount of parts. After being frustrated at not being able to find what i needed parts wise , i stumbled upon this pedal. I just said hell ill just order it. I only have 1 other manufactured pedal, a Donner yellow fall delay, 1590a, which i got on amazon, for $25 bucks two day shipping included. It just doesnt make sense economically for me right now to build a pedal. Even if i ordered  everything from tayda, the parts alone would cost what finished pedal does, and ill have pedal in 2 days. Where as ordering from tayda i wouldnt even get parts for another 8-15 days. I got into this hobby bc yea if i want some special boutique pedal that is $300 bucks retail, then yes it will be cheaper, but how much is my time worth, My skills are average at best, ive seen some incredible work by alot of ppl making pedals on here an other sites, Ill still finish my ocd build, but ive got to be logical right now and realize i just cant afford to spend the time and money i do on this hobby. Once i have a proper work space ad little more $ in the bank to get some better tools and stock up on parts ill pick it back up. Sorry for long post, again i appreciate as many tips for cleaning as any one has.

bcalla

Quote from: flanagan0718 on February 23, 2017, 12:57:42 PM
I would try some oxy clean to clean up the Ferric Chloride. I would personally try and stay away from chemicals too. As for the smell, I recently used a 1:1 mixture of White Vinegar and Water to clean my couch and it worked pretty well. It no longer smells like this Jerk!

But I would look up online to see if Ferric Chloride will react with any of those first. I'm not a chemist.

-Mike-

Mike -
Is your dog WEARING the tie, ot just lying on it?

flanagan0718

Quote from: bcalla on February 23, 2017, 03:40:37 PM

Mike -
Is your dog WEARING the tie, ot just lying on it?

She's wearing it. I put it on her one night when I got home from work.

Yes FC will stain anything it touches. I doubt you'll be able fully get it out of the rug. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jaidee

Commercial ferric chloride stain removers are available, at least in the UK.  As far as I am aware, the only active ingredient is oxalic acid, which is available pretty much everywhere (check out ebay).