News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

HELP, JEN 60's Cry Baby Wah PCB Component Placement; Inductor

Started by seagurt, February 13, 2017, 12:37:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seagurt

I have an old school Cry Baby Wah (JEN Italy, 60's,) that a buddy asked me to look at. The board is damaged in places, the traces have lifted at points, and silver trace has been applied, to to make sure the effect indeed works (been more than 20 years apparently.) and it does, and sounds beautiful.

I was asked to re board the components, and so I bought a PCB from Tonepad.
http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/pcb-tonepad-wah-wah/

All the components seem to match, except there is an additional 100kQ trim pot (Bias I presume, or tonal width?) and I dont know how/which way to install the inductor. Its a red Fasel, and it appears to have 2 legs (all I can see) but the board has 8 different spots where the inductor is supposed to seat (from what I can tell, I may be totally off.)

I don't want to solder, and de solder components, especially a Red Fasel from 67...

Would anyone here know which way I am supposed to install this inductor, or do I need another variant because the standard component housing has changed so much in the last while. I am ready to modify the existing inductor if I need to in order to make it fit.

Here are some pictures of the original wah board, components, and such, as well as the new PCB I wish to use.

Apologies if the images dont appear, I'm still trying to figure that part out. I tried to add them as an attachment, but the files were too large.

Thanks for all the help, it is appreciated!

sonnyboy27

The 8 pins for the inductor are simply there so you can use different ones (since they sometimes have different shapes and pin placement).

seagurt

So it doesn't matter the orientation, I can just fit it any ways it drops in? Looking at the trace on the back, it looks like I need to complete the circuit path, with the inductor legs.

Pardon my ignorance, I just dont want to destroy my buddies 50 year old inductor... :)

Are there any advantages/changes that would affect the sound if I dropped it in in any particular place? I'm just used to things being a little more clear.

I appreciate your response, but I will wait to see what other info comes in. A little knowledge can be dangerous!

Cheers, and thanks for the swift reply!

Jebus

Quote from: seagurt on February 13, 2017, 12:59:55 PM
So it doesn't matter the orientation, I can just fit it any ways it drops in? Looking at the trace on the back, it looks like I need to complete the circuit path, with the inductor legs.

The orientation doesnt matter. Just check that its completing the circuit (so the legs are on the different traces, ie not shorting). :)

Like Sonnyboy wrote, the different pins are just meant for different shaped inductors.