News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Strange issues with recent builds

Started by ShredderNemo, February 12, 2017, 01:16:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShredderNemo

I'm finding that numerous builds of mine work excellently the first few times I use them. I box them up, and they suddenly don't work. Through fault finding, I've noticed each time it's not just a wiring/ground issue, but it's a component failing somewhere in the circuit. Is it common for components to work for a while before shorting out or dying? I'm starting to suspect some 1uf poly film caps as the suspect, as crazy as that sounds.

Leevibe

I find component failure to be incredibly rare. If it's happening often and with different components, I'd suspect cold solder joints.

ShredderNemo

Alright, so a little background information on the build I'm currently having issues with. I just finished a Madbean Wolfshirt (Foxx Tone Machine).  It was working excellently at both 9v and 18v (all components rated at 25v or higher), until I boxed it up. I traced the issue down to C13, a 1uf cap right before the volume pot. I have signal at the collector of Q4, and at the entrance to C13, but not on the other side of the cap. I replaced the capacitor with another 1uf film, and the problem persists. When I jumper the leads of the cap, I get signal, and both caps have measured just fine.

I'm not quite sure where the problem lies at this point.

ShredderNemo

Looks like it was 2 things: the DC jack was shorting against the case, and a ground wire not connected to the sleeve of the output jack.

Leevibe

Congrats on the solve! It always feels good.

jimilee

Quote from: ShredderNemo on February 12, 2017, 08:02:43 PM
Looks like it was 2 things: the DC jack was shorting against the case, and a ground wire not connected to the sleeve of the output jack.
Nice job. Just an FYI for learning purposes. If you use metal 1/4" jacks and are ys by an aluminum enclosure, you don't necessarily need to ground the output jack, it grounds through the enclosure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.