News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Customizing pot values by adding resistors between solder lugs

Started by AntKnee, February 15, 2017, 06:42:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AntKnee

I am working on a vero build that requires 150k pots. Using the Analog Alchemy page, I calculated what value resistors to put across the lugs of my pots. My vero build only requires soldering wires to lugs 2 and 3. Do I need to solder a resistor between lugs 1 and 2 AND lug 2 and 3, or can I get away with only soldering a resistor between the lugs I am using (2 and 3)?

(FYI, I am using 200k pots with 270k resistors to achieve 146k pot, according to the calculator, which is close enough for me.)
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

drolo

The maximum and minimum values of the pot will be correct, though you will modify the pot's taper. That might not be a problem though, depends on the circuit. You only need to solder the resistor to the 2 lugs you are using.

AntKnee

Quote from: drolo on February 15, 2017, 07:24:10 AM
The maximum and minimum values of the pot will be correct, though you will modify the pot's taper. That might not be a problem though, depends on the circuit. You only need to solder the resistor to the 2 lugs you are using.

I'm building a Keeley 4 knob compressor on vero. I don't know if the taper matters. Would I be better off just using 200k pots instead of 150K, in this case?

drolo

I'm afraid I have never seen that schematic, would you have a link to the one you are working with?

AntKnee

Quote from: drolo on February 15, 2017, 08:47:56 AM
I'm afraid I have never seen that schematic, would you have a link to the one you are working with?

I don't know which one they used for the Tagboard layout, but here is one that I hope helps.

sonnyboy27

Based on the tagboard layout (because I'm looking at doing the same thing) I'd say you only need it across the lugs 2 and 3 for the clipping pot, and lugs 2 and 3 of the attack pot.

drolo

It's probably not going to be a big deal having 200k.
Give it a try and if you hear any weird stuff happening (I doubt it ) when the pots are maxed out at 200k add the resistor to bring the max resistance down.

dbp512

I built this on stripboard a year ago, I don't remember for sure but I think I used a 100k pot and it was fine. I didn't notice anything weird and I didn't feel like it was missing any of its range. I never played an original to compare, so take what I say with a grain of salt. Luckily part of the fun of diy is that you get to experiment.
"you truly are a transistor tickler, what with the application of germanium ointment to sensitive fuzzy areas. :)" - playpunk

devilsnight

In this case you could try the 200k pots and then prop the resistor on there and try it that way too, see if there is a difference. Assuming you have solder lug pots that wouldn't be too difficult.