News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Bad CA3080?

Started by cajone5, February 19, 2017, 02:35:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cajone5

Just curious, where is everyone sourcing these?  I got (5) from Amazon and my Kraken is not working using it.  It could be something else, but I'm suspecting this chip.  All I get is clicks that change with the various control and if I blast the volume on my amp I'm getting highly distorted, very quiet signal coming through.

https://www.amazon.com/pcs-CA3080-incl-8-pin-socket/dp/B01CM2TH7U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487543554&sr=8-1&keywords=ca3080

Please let me know if anyone has tried these and verified they are good.  I've tried two with the same result (so it could be something else), but I plan to try a known "good" chip before going through too much trouble poking around on the board.

madbean

I've gotten some from polida on eBay that were good. Was a while ago but maybe these would work...
http://stores.ebay.com/POLIDA-ELECTRICAL-H-K-LIMITED/_i.html?_nkw=CA3080&submit=Search&_sid=1049472388

reddesert

CA3080 are one of those parts that there are a lot of reports of bad/fake ones, and where I would think "If it's too cheap to be true, it probably is." Someone on diystompboxes recently reported a bad CA3080 from polida. I don't know if I'd trust any except smallbear or the big suppliers (if they have them).

I recently built a Kraken and used a daughterboard to adapt a LM13700. It works great. While a little inelegant, LM13700 are easy to find.

alanp

Agree with Red. If you can't get CA3080s from a reputable supplier like Smallbear, perfing a LM13700 daughterboard is a decent alternative.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

cajone5

It was a bad chip.

Found some metal can CA3080's on eBay for a nice price and popped one in there this weekend and it works now.

fredwreck

I just replaced CA3080 in my kraken.  It was zapped.  I replaced it with LM3080 and now it works like a charm.