Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

3pdt w LED ring

Started by Fndr8875, February 19, 2017, 06:38:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

Boom, I'm in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Jebus

I'm in if we can get people from Europe. Hate drilling holes for leds. :D

AntKnee

I will take some more. I'm in.
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

Fndr8875

Id be down, ima post a link but i found some better looking ones ,more color options, and also comes with colored aluminum cap.

http://m.made-in-china.com/product/Single-Color-LED-Footswitch-Colorful-Aluminum-Cap-Electric-Foot-Switch-PBS-24-302-KN1-808727955.html

These are bicolored and seem like a little sleeker looking. I like how the aluminum cap gives you a larger area for stomp. Im not real keen on copper color. I dont see anything about being able to get different colored cap. I think black would work best as far as color scheme, and prob wouldnt show grime as much. Anyway if you scroll down there are the bilcolored ones, and regular colored. Ill bookmark this thread as it wouldnt take but $100 bucks to do a group buy. Id prob get 5, as i hate dealing w LED and bezel and more drilling etc...

Willybomb

I've seen those large buttons around pretty cheap too. Great idea but Barefoot Buttons are crazy expensive.

gordo

Mine from the original post are supposed to be delivered tomorrow so we'll see how they look.  My only real concern is the quality of the switch.  The rest of it looks pretty straightforward.  More of a novelty than anything else but I think they look pretty cool.

If the $2 group buy is a good quality switch I'd be up for a bunch. I'd be up for a $2 group buy for ANY quality 3pdt.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

PhiloB

I've had to replace (3) 3pdts over the past year for a friend that I have built multiple pedals for.  They were cheaper switches.  I've determined to spend a little extra in hopes that I don't have to keep replacing switches...it's a nuasance.  I've not had to replace any that I've purchased from smallbear.  In fact, I'm considering a relay bypass with momentary switch!
I'd be concerned about the long term reliability of $2 switches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

matmosphere

If there is a group buy going on for $2 I might pick up a few (maybe 5) to check them out.

It's a cool idea. I wonder if the switches were crap if you could take off the board and lens and use it on a better stomp.

I guess the obvious down side is that if you have to drill a larger hole and the stomps are junk then it won't look as good with a decent stomp and a washer if the original one fails.

gordo

Got the switches but won't likely get a chance to get one wired up till tomorrow night.  Here's a few shots of the actual switch.  Action feels pretty solid, although it feels like a lower quality switch (not that I have a problem with that).  Very little epoxy around the contacts.  The board itself looks pretty slick.

It's cut into the top of the case and has a clear bezel over top of it.  I think the hole is going to be considerably larger than a regular switch to get the top bezel to sit flush and allow the light thru.
Gordy Power

alparent

Quote from: Willybomb on February 21, 2017, 03:22:32 PM
Who's up for a group purchase @$2 each?

https://wholesaler.alibaba.com/product-detail/Daier-3PDT-foot-switch-illuminated-footswitch-_60594677575.html

That is 2$ without shipping.
Add shipping and you are at 4$
Then shipping those switches to people.
I'm French.......sorry for my bad Englishhhhhhh.

Willybomb

Even funnier, I didn't see the $50 postage originally.

Still, $4 per switch isn't bad by Australian standards.  If I was to buy 50 regular switches for $150 that's still a touch under online store prices and well under retail.

I usually buy the from random chinese sellers on ebay though around the $2 each mark.

bcalla

gordo -
According to the eBay listing:  These switches require an 11/16″ mounting hole for the plastic washer.

My 4 just arrived yesterday, but they won't make it into a project anytime soon.  I have 2 builds in progress, both already drilled for standard stomps & LEDs.

m-Kresol

FYI for my european companions: musikding stocks those switches now. Not quite cheap at 4.50/4.90€ depending on colour. They also stock those other 3PDTs with the bigger stomping area now.

https://www.musikding.de/Footswitches
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

gordo

OK, here's my first build using one.  It's the ultra rare powder blue MXR Distortion II.  Well, if it was 9vdc and the board was made by Rullywow...

First off, I retract my statement about the cheapness of the switch.  The epoxy held up really well to soldering and it feels quite nice.  These pictures don't do it much justice because the camera put a weird purple flare on it but they look very nice.  Yes, the hole is a bit overly big but the top of the switch case sits flush up against the enclosure and the light ring butts up to that.  Don't know that I'd want to jump on it, but am confident it would put up with as much abuse as any of my other switches.

This build was a disaster.  I realized after I drilled the holes that there was NO WAY the jacks would fit so I "solved" the problem by pitching the board to clear the jacks.  I layed out the enclosure to look like the original rather than take into account the board layout.  Oh well, it ain't pretty but it works.

Gordy Power