News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

What does a P6KE120 diode do?

Started by Tuxedo3, February 28, 2017, 11:33:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tuxedo3

Title mostly says it, I just don't know what it does. Is there a good replacement for it?

midwayfair

It does whatever is shown in the schematic that you didn't link us to!

Jebus

If you are looking to find out what it does in general a datasheet is good place to start: http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/240/Littelfuse_TVS-Diode_P6KE-48586.pdf

selfdestroyer

I bet someone is trying to build a BluesBreaker/Morning Glory work-a-like.

Cody

Tuxedo3

Quote from: selfdestroyer on March 01, 2017, 03:36:06 PM
I bet someone is trying to build a BluesBreaker/Morning Glory work-a-like.

You pretty much guessed it. Haberdasher has a Morning Glory schematic up on his "Morning Wood" project. I've built it and a few of my own bluesbreaker style drives i've just never known what that diode does.

Tuxedo3

Quote from: midwayfair on February 28, 2017, 11:41:57 AM
It does whatever is shown in the schematic that you didn't link us to!

My fault, here it is.

galaxiex

It's like a condom.... for your morning wood.... ;)

It's there for protection of the circuit in the event of reversed power supply polarity.
Fear leads to Anger, Anger leads to Hate, Hate leads to Suffering.

midwayfair

It's nothing like a condom. Under proper use, a condom will prevent the things it's supposed to without breaking. That diode will break the second you ask it to perform it's function.

Just leave it out.

galaxiex

Quote from: midwayfair on March 01, 2017, 06:53:56 PM
It's nothing like a condom. Under proper use, a condom will prevent the things it's supposed to without breaking. That diode will break the second you ask it to perform it's function.

Just leave it out.

With all due respect did you look at the data sheet for that device?

With it's rating I sincerely doubt it will break in the first second of reverse voltage from a measly 9 volts.

Vbr min/max 114/126 @ 1 amp.
Fear leads to Anger, Anger leads to Hate, Hate leads to Suffering.

midwayfair

Quote from: galaxiex on March 01, 2017, 08:35:43 PM
Quote from: midwayfair on March 01, 2017, 06:53:56 PM

Just leave it out.

With all due respect did you look at the data sheet for that device?

With it's rating I sincerely doubt it will break in the first second of reverse voltage from a measly 9 volts.

Vbr min/max 114/126 @ 1 amp.

I'll play. With all due respect, would you take a moment to explain to me why the reverse breakdown voltage of a non-zener diode is relevant to its longevity when forward conducting 9V from a power supply delivering typically couple hundred to 2000 mA?

I will grant you it's probably better than a 1N4001, but if the diode doesn't die, the power supply still will.

EDIT: Also, I thought we were cracking jokes, not having a serious discussion about electronics. My bad.

AntKnee

I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".