News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

My most beautiful failure to date!

Started by Dminner, March 06, 2017, 08:51:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dminner

It doesn't work...but at least I attempted a build :).   

Bought a loaded mulitplex, rehoused it and tried to add modulation boards to each delay line.

I think perhaps the GC plfo boards aren't compatible with the multiplex...probably should have used the ones made for the multiplex, but I wanted that shape switch 

AntKnee

I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

m-Kresol

dude, if you're wiring like this, I don't see any reason why you ever started the labour trades, but I sure am happy you did. Keep at it and you'll get it going for sure. if you need help, you know were to get it.

love the graphics, the yellow spots give it kind of a "paper-airplanes in space" vibe going.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

add4

With graphics like that you don't need to make it work. Seriously put that on your pedalboard right now it's cool as hell. Who wants dual modulated delay anyway? Being cool is my much more important.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

bluescage

Boba7

ABsolutely fantastic!! Wish I could give you hand at debugging it! :) I'm sure you'll make it work.

Dminner

Quote from: m-Kresol on March 06, 2017, 09:26:17 PM
dude, if you're wiring like this, I don't see any reason why you ever started the labour trades, but I sure am happy you did. Keep at it and you'll get it going for sure. if you need help, you know were to get it.

love the graphics, the yellow spots give it kind of a "paper-airplanes in space" vibe going.

Thanks man. I still have no idea what I am actually doing.

BUT! Today I played around a little and have some modulation.  So this may work after all with some debugging. Just a couple weird things: for modulation to work on delay 1 the ground (L2 coming from the plfo board) needs to be in place but for it to work on delay 2 it needs lifted.  But one of the modulation boards for sure works. The other, I realized today, isn't flashing. The led is always on. Maybe swap out the IC on that one?

cajone5

Very cool -- this is definitely a challenging one and you're almost there!  Keep at it and you'll get it sorted.  Sounds like one mod board is working now so use that as a template for the other one.

m-Kresol

Quote from: Dminner on March 07, 2017, 04:47:48 AM
But one of the modulation boards for sure works. The other, I realized today, isn't flashing. The led is always on. Maybe swap out the IC on that one?

if you have it socketed, it won't be a hassle so you can try, but more likely it's not the IC. Do the usual things listed in the "how to get tech help" thread starting by taking the board out and visually inspecting it: solder bridges, cold solder joints, parts orientation and so on. if the led isn't flashing your LFO is very very likely not oscillating, so i'd suspect some parts around the IC (R3, R4, R5, C1, C2 and rate) are some points to start. the board is rather small so reflowing all solder points could help if there's a cold one somewhere.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol

Dminner

Quote from: m-Kresol on March 07, 2017, 10:47:44 AM
But one of the modulation boards for sure works. The other, I realized today, isn't flashing. The led is always on. Maybe swap out the IC on that one?

if you have it socketed, it won't be a hassle so you can try, but more likely it's not the IC. Do the usual things listed in the "how to get tech help" thread starting by taking the board out and visually inspecting it: solder bridges, cold solder joints, parts orientation and so on. if the led isn't flashing your LFO is very very likely not oscillating, so i'd suspect some parts around the IC (R3, R4, R5, C1, C2 and rate) are some points to start. the board is rather small so reflowing all solder points could help if there's a cold one somewhere.

I think Mike figured it out for me!  One of the caps is backwards on one board compared to the other.  I will flip it on the board not working later tonight and see if that's the issue :)  Caps are confusing to me...some have directionality and some don't.

m-Kresol

just remember that the big round ones (almost) always are polar and need to put in the correct way (or the electrolyte will dissolve the Al2O3 layer on the Al anode and then give a short resulting in heat and evaporation of solvent and thus bursting of the cap ;) ) Replace it with a new cap! even if it didn't break, capacity values can alter very quickly when rev. voltage is applied and you'd have varying rates at similar settings. if you have a meter that can measure capacitance values you could check if it's reusable.

that's C2 if I'm not mistaken, which controls the LFO rate! that's got to be it!

AntKnee

Quote from: Dminner on March 07, 2017, 10:49:58 AM
Quote from: m-Kresol on March 07, 2017, 10:47:44 AM

I think Mike figured it out for me!  One of the caps is backwards on one board compared to the other.  I will flip it on the board not working later tonight and see if that's the issue :)  Caps are confusing to me...some have directionality and some don't.

Good eye! He is right. That should fix you up.

Electrolytic caps are almost always polarized, so watch the markings on the pcb on those. The square hole is positve, or look for a mark that corresponds to the mark on the capacitor.
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

Dminner

Some success. Flipped that cap and I now have flickering! So that is a win. But there is still something off with that board. There are two wires that come off of it, L1 and L2. One goes to the 3rd lug of the delay pot and the other to the ground. If either of those wires are connected the blinking stops. If L1  is soldered to the delay lug all delay is lost too. I know the prob is with the mod board and not the plex circuit because it does the same thing regardless of which delay line I hook it too and because the other mod board works on either delay line.

Dminner

cajone5

Well that was a quick fix. Nice work!  Looking forward to the demo.  8)