News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

"New" finishing technique

Started by culturejam, March 11, 2017, 04:12:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

culturejam

Quote from: madbean on March 12, 2017, 07:15:30 AM
Also, Forrest- what about your CNC? That one engraving you did a few months ago looked great. Or, is it more trouble than it's worth?

Yeah, it's kinda a lot of work for a one off, and it takes too long to use for production purposes. And it's really hard to get precision from unit to unit.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

HamSandwich

Quote from: culturejam on March 11, 2017, 09:58:33 PM
Finished pedal:

Even in the light you don't see any brush marks. Really nice and thanks for sharing!

culturejam

Quote from: HamSandwich on March 12, 2017, 07:18:29 PM
Even in the light you don't see any brush marks. Really nice and thanks for sharing!

You can definitely see them. I just used the most flattering possible angle. ;)

Aleph Null

Quote from: HamSandwich on March 11, 2017, 06:43:14 PM
I wonder if you can use the machine polish stuff used on guitars? Steel wool + that would be SUPER easy and great for indoors.

It's acrylic based; you could probably use toothpaste to polish it...but that will only get you a matte finish.

Timko

This looks great Forrest.  I'll certainly look into some of these designs in some of my future designs.  You could come up with some interesting results with a combination of this and a painted etch.

drezdn

I wonder if this would work with inkjet paper too? Time for me to experiment.

culturejam

Quote from: drezdn on March 17, 2017, 11:06:30 AM
I wonder if this would work with inkjet paper too? Time for me to experiment.

Yes, it does. I just said laser because it's what I have access to. You could draw it with a crayon or pen, or cut pictures out of a magazine. You could regular paper or cardstock. Doesn't really matter. Mod Podge will handle it.

matmosphere

There was just another thread over at tdpri about this. Somebody shared this link http://modpodgerocksblog.com/the-7-steps-to-perfect-mod-podging-every-time

A little more involved but I bet it would probably look great.

Aleph Null

I just used this method on a build: http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=25287.0 You can get a semi-gloss finish with some extra work. Details are in the build report.

culturejam

Nice work!

I'm testing out some sticker paper options as well. I have a hobby plotter (Silhouette Cameo), so I can print/cut interesting non-contiguous shapes, and do the drill hit cutouts as well (which reduces finishing time and removes the chance of the drill damaging the paper).

I think another smooth/gloss option would be to do the basic Mod Podge finishing (4-6 layers), do some quick sanding to take out the big ridges, and then spray clear acrylic to  seal it up. They make a branded spray, but I don't think there would be any issue using something a little cheaper from the hardware store.

storyboardist

Tried out this method last week on a rehouse project and it worked great! Thanks Forrest!

Guy behind Effects Layouts

bluescage

selfdestroyer

Labels with Hammertone is always a PITA, that came out great storyboardist.

Cody

davent

Painted white stripe covered with a regular waterslide decal?

Came out well however it was done.

I would think you could use the Mod Podge for 'wet toner transfer' and skip decals all together.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?