News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mixer fell in my lap

Started by selfdestroyer, March 16, 2017, 10:03:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

selfdestroyer

I work in IT for a huge retirement company here in California. At most of our location on the west coast we have performance/arts centers with a stage and equipment. At one of our LA locations they were remodeling and tore out all the equipment. Most of the other techs know I am into music and what not and offer me stuff they find all the time. Most of the time its commercial audio equipment that is no really suitable for home use. Last week I got a call from one of the techs saying he had a Mackie mixer that they pulled from a small theater and wanted to know if I wanted it. Not asking to many questions I told him yes... I figured I could use it no matter what model it was.

This got here yesterday:

Its a Mackie SR32.4 VLZ Pro. I was blown away. I figured it was going to be a 8 or 12 channel mixer.. not 32 channels.

Now I need to figure out if its something I can physically use in my situation or if I need to flip it and buy something that would work better/smaller foot print. I am currently using a Mackie 1202 VLZ Pro and it seems to be working out fine.. so I guess I have no idea what to do with this.. haha.

Doing some clean up on it and removing all the stickers and gummy residue from past stickers. Also a few of the faders are bent.. easy fix.

Cody

jimilee

Daaaaammmmnnn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

blearyeyes

Wow! Nice freebie!  What do you use the 12 channel for?

selfdestroyer

Quote from: blearyeyes on March 16, 2017, 10:09:56 AM
Wow! Nice freebie!  What do you use the 12 channel for?

Currently all my outboard gear like my synths and samplers. Most of my gear is stereo so I burn through the 12 channels pretty quickly.

Cody

m-Kresol

you have no idea what kind of picture I had in mind when I read the thread title. let's just say when I read mixer, I thought of one of these:

awesome score though!
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

jubal81

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

Timko

That's the very definition of winning a day.  Nice score.

dbp512

it probably hurt when a mixer that big fell in your lap. congrats on the sweet score, now lets see you put it to good use!
"you truly are a transistor tickler, what with the application of germanium ointment to sensitive fuzzy areas. :)" - playpunk

Muadzin

That's a nice sweet windfall, you lucky SOB!

That being said nowadays I would prefer a digital mixer over an analog table. Smaller footprint, remote control, the ability to function like a recording interface into your DAW make them far more preferable for me to use.

peAk

Nice Cody

I just recently upgraded my Mackie VLZ 1202 to a VLZ4 1402.

Not sure if I would ever use 32 channels but I would rather have extra than not enough.

One of the things I like about Mackie mixers is that when you mute a channel, it's sends that channel to the ALT 3/4 bus. This is very useful for recording. When ever I want to record a certain instrument hooked up to the board, I "mute" it which basically redirects it to my ins on my audio interface and no feedback loops!

I have been doing it this way for years.

mrclean77

Nearing sleep, I clicked to find out if a mixer literally somehow got dropped in your lap and if you were hurt....that one would do it.

drolo

Quote from: m-Kresol on March 16, 2017, 10:57:31 AM
you have no idea what kind of picture I had in mind when I read the thread title. let's just say when I read mixer, I thought of one of these:

awesome score though!
Same here, glad your lap is not hurt  ;D

storyboardist

Oh man, I used to mix all the time on one of those. Awesome score, Cody!
Guy behind Effects Layouts

selfdestroyer

Quote from: peAk on March 16, 2017, 06:52:04 PM
Nice Cody

I just recently upgraded my Mackie VLZ 1202 to a VLZ4 1402.

Not sure if I would ever use 32 channels but I would rather have extra than not enough.

One of the things I like about Mackie mixers is that when you mute a channel, it's sends that channel to the ALT 3/4 bus. This is very useful for recording. When ever I want to record a certain instrument hooked up to the board, I "mute" it which basically redirects it to my ins on my audio interface and no feedback loops!

I have been doing it this way for years.

I never knew that, great info. Thanks!

It cleaned up nice and all channels seem to be working good and smooth. I did have to clean the master fader but that was kind of expected. For the time being I found a home for it. My buddy is cleaning out a room in his house to turn it into a home office/recording space. I am going to take some of my "not used so much" gear over there to store it and have it there to mess with. This mixer will be perfect for over there.. still overkill but at least it will be used.

Cody

culturejam

Came here to see the lap injury.  :'(
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects