News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

wtf Mouser?

Started by zilla, March 22, 2017, 08:12:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EBRAddict

Quote from: lars on March 23, 2017, 07:01:59 AMjust about impossible for the DIY person to repair.

I agree that with traditional tools they are harder to repair. I picked up a hot air system on eBay making removing components much easier. I also got a set of super fine point test probes for my DMM and scope. And, of course, a 10x-20x magnifier headset.

For example I removed a 20+ pad Bluetooth SoC module without much effort. You couldn't remove a hard-soldered 20+ DIP without risking damage to a board.

The biggest issue I have is components not being labeled.

gtr2

supply and demand, not mousers fault

95% of my design work for clients is SMD , TH resistors will be around for a long time I believe but SMD is hard to avoid now.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

zilla

yeah i know this isn't mouser's fault.  I emailed them about it hoping that it was a website mistake, but they confirmed that there was a price increase on 3/16/17

honestly, i can't really see the justification for a sudden near 50% price increase unless the company is being run by incompetent people who don't know how to forecast sales properly.

Koa-Speer has now gone from a middle-of-the-pack price to the highest price for through hole resistors.

stecykmi

whoa these yageo's are cheap even in canada, are they really up to snuff? i have been using xicons for years! always been reliable so i'm hesitant to switch brands  ;)

pickdropper

Quote from: stecykmi on March 24, 2017, 06:53:10 PM
whoa these yageo's are cheap even in canada, are they really up to snuff? i have been using xicons for years! always been reliable so i'm hesitant to switch brands  ;)

The Yageo's from Mouser are just fine.  Unless they've changed, the ones I've always gotten have nice thick leads
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

pickdropper

Quote from: zilla on March 24, 2017, 07:50:34 AM
yeah i know this isn't mouser's fault.  I emailed them about it hoping that it was a website mistake, but they confirmed that there was a price increase on 3/16/17

honestly, i can't really see the justification for a sudden near 50% price increase unless the company is being run by incompetent people who don't know how to forecast sales properly.

Koa-Speer has now gone from a middle-of-the-pack price to the highest price for through hole resistors.

The pricing increase likely isn't related to bad forecasting or incompetency, but due to declining demand for through-hole resistors.  With reduced demand from the supply chain, production cuts back, which increases the cost.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

selfdestroyer

Quote from: warriorpoet on March 22, 2017, 04:14:18 PM
Quote from: selfdestroyer on March 22, 2017, 08:40:24 AM
That's been the case with all  1% metal film resistors at Mouser.

Today -            Xcon $0.05ea   200 $10.00
Dec 07, 2015 - Xicon $0.025ea 200 $5.00
Sep 02, 2014 - Xicon $0.014ea 200 $2.80

It sucks, I agree.

Cody

Enjoy!

http://www.mouser.com/Passive-Components/Resistors/Through-Hole-Resistors/Metal-Film-Resistors/_/N-7h7zb?P=1z0wjc0Z1z0jjxq&Keyword=yageo&FS=True&Ns=Pricing|0

Very cool, thanks for the heads up. I will put in an order and give them a go.

Cody

bluescage

Well as for ordering from Mouser I was a little dissapointed. I ordered from their Dutch site (I live in the Netherlands) for around € 27,-- and they charged me € 20,-- shipping costs?!

alanp

There's a threshold in Mouser orders -- if your order total is above a certain value, then shipping is *free*. It's $66NZD for NZ orders, I don't know what it is for Netherlands sorry.

As for resistors, I'm happy with cheap ones as long as they are the value advertised :D
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

bsoncini

For France. I think it is 50 d or 60 euros then shipping is free and they take care of the customs costs.