News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

wtf Mouser?

Started by zilla, March 22, 2017, 08:12:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zilla

So i have dozens and dozens of projects saved in my mouser account.  All of them with Koa-Speer 1% metal film resistors because it was a decent balance between quality and cost.

I log in today to make an order and for whatever reason the cost of all Koa-Speer resistors has almost doubled!  they were around 17 cents in singles and now they're up around  32 cents each!

not impressed.

selfdestroyer

That's been the case with all  1% metal film resistors at Mouser.

Today -            Xcon $0.05ea   200 $10.00
Dec 07, 2015 - Xicon $0.025ea 200 $5.00
Sep 02, 2014 - Xicon $0.014ea 200 $2.80

It sucks, I agree.

Cody

Bruce

I buy the Xicon resistors, and I saw Mouser raised the price maybe a year ago. I have instead been ordering them from Small Bear or PPP, but Small Bear now says he's dropping those in favor of another brand, Topmay. I ordered some of the Topmay to check them out, and I can tell you, the leads are definitely not as thick as Xicon.

The Koa-Speer seem reasonably priced in quantity. Do you think they are on-par with the Xicon ones? Are they flimsy, or have nice thick leads?

I am pretty sure that the price increases start at the manufacturer and work their way through distributors onto us. As to the cost of single resistors doubling, I doubt the price doubled at any manufacturer, but maybe they figured out their labor cost, labels and baggies and decided they were not making money at pennies per each resistor.

davent

I've used Yageos from digikey for years, 1% metals fims in most values are still only  14 cents cdn., $8.90 cdn for 250.  Dollar diifference might be 75% less in US dollars. Looks like the megaohm values are a lot more money.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

warriorpoet

Quote from: davent on March 22, 2017, 10:30:33 AM
I've used Yageos from digikey for years, 1% metals fims in most values are still only  14 cents cdn., $8.90 cdn for 250.  Dollar diifference might be 75% less in US dollars. Looks like the megaohm values are a lot more money.

dave

Yageos are stellar, and they offer .6v in a .25v package. I get mine at Mouser
Mzo.FX, Owner

bsoncini

And I thought the 5 cent vishay resistors at the local electronics store were expensive.

warriorpoet

Praytell, where is this magical place?  ;) ;D :o :)

Quote from: bsoncini on March 22, 2017, 12:10:20 PM
And I thought the 5 cent vishay resistors at the local electronics store were expensive.
Mzo.FX, Owner

warriorpoet

Quote from: selfdestroyer on March 22, 2017, 08:40:24 AM
That's been the case with all  1% metal film resistors at Mouser.

Today -            Xcon $0.05ea   200 $10.00
Dec 07, 2015 - Xicon $0.025ea 200 $5.00
Sep 02, 2014 - Xicon $0.014ea 200 $2.80

It sucks, I agree.

Cody

Enjoy!

http://www.mouser.com/Passive-Components/Resistors/Through-Hole-Resistors/Metal-Film-Resistors/_/N-7h7zb?P=1z0wjc0Z1z0jjxq&Keyword=yageo&FS=True&Ns=Pricing|0
Mzo.FX, Owner

jubal81

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

pickdropper

The pricing is going up because the manufacturing is scaling down.  It's hard to believe that through-hole resistors would be totally discontinued, but if the manufacturing quantities continue to scale down, they could continue to go up in price.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

bsoncini

Quote from: warriorpoet on March 22, 2017, 04:11:35 PM
Praytell, where is this magical place?  ;) ;D :o :)

Quote from: bsoncini on March 22, 2017, 12:10:20 PM

In Paris. Looks like they raised the price to 6 cents a resistor.  Sold by multiples of 5 resistors hence 30 cents.

http://www.stquentin-radio.com/?page=categorie&cat=1&id=0&act=0&sous_cat1=5&sous_cat2=23&ar_cat=2&v=1

EBRAddict

How much of a through hole 250mW resistor material is waste? 90% or more?

If it wasn't for the supposed unicorn properties of TH components in pedals, would we still use them? I remember Skreddy telling a poster on FSB that 1/2W sounded different than 1/4W resistors... wew lad. Other than breadboarding stuff, I rarely use TH anymore.

culturejam

Looks like I'll be doing another Mouser order soon and getting some Yageo resistors. Thanks for the tip!

Quote from: EBRAddict on March 23, 2017, 06:04:39 AM
I remember Skreddy telling a poster on FSB that 1/2W sounded different than 1/4W resistors... wew lad.

Well, he's got some SMD-based pedals now, so it must not make that much difference. I recently got his Rover (souped up MKII) and it sounds fantastic. 95% is SMD with a few through-hole parts.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

lars

Quote from: pickdropper on March 22, 2017, 08:23:34 PM
The pricing is going up because the manufacturing is scaling down.  It's hard to believe that through-hole resistors would be totally discontinued, but if the manufacturing quantities continue to scale down, they could continue to go up in price.
Yeah, pretty much everything has switched to cheap SMD manufacturing in China, so the through-hole stuff just isn't in as much demand. It's too bad since SMD is a technology that was invented to make things smaller, cheaper, and just about impossible for the DIY person to repair. It's a win-win for throw-away technology. Where are all these tiny new pedals gonna go when they fail? Right into the toilet.
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

Aristatertotle

Looks like the yageo mf0204 series are .4W resistors in an 1/8W package as well.