News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

A riddle: Can you guess the song that inspired me to build this

Started by Marshall Arts, March 21, 2017, 11:10:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

somnif

I've not seen a BMP with "gain" used as a knob label (as accurate as it may be) which threw me off (though the bender switch to take the diodes out of the equation should have been a clue).

So if we're talking BMP and The Wall, this would likely be the Ram's Head flavor of the circuit.

Marshall Arts

Quote from: somnif on March 21, 2017, 03:06:41 PM
I've not seen a BMP with "gain" used as a knob label (as accurate as it may be) which threw me off (though the bender switch to take the diodes out of the equation should have been a clue).
Wow, you even recognized the "bender" mod. "Sustain" was too long for the graphics... and in terms of outer appearance, I did not care about accuracy.

Quote from: somnif on March 21, 2017, 03:06:41 PM
So if we're talking BMP and The Wall, this would likely be the Ram's Head flavor of the circuit.
Correct.

So, I solve the rest:
The location is the "Potsdamer Platz", where the Berlin wall used to be (parts of it was even used as the fence for the concert!). So, on the upper edge, there will be the "Brandenburg Gate". Here is a ticket for public transportation from that time:

and here is an image of that map today (the gray area, where the stage used to be is the holocaust memorial):

The concert was on 21st of July 1990, but through lucky accidents, I ended up within the fence for the rehearsal on 20th of July and saw the complete show the day before the official concert. So, if the stage is the large rectangle in the middle of the graphic, the LED would be ME.

You can see the concert from 21st of July here:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2b70ga_roger-waters-the-wall-live-in-berlin-1990_music

Fun fact: Parts of that video are from the 20th of July, as they had a long power outage on the 21st. They cut these parts out for the video production.

If Klaus Meine enters the stage around 9 p.m. "Comfortably Numb" was around 10:11 p.m. (22:11). And even though Gilmour wasn't there, I still remember the impressive sound of the guitar solos (Rick Di Fonzo & Snowy White), so when I built this effect (JMK Scuba Drive), I thought that this would be a nice reference.

So yes, the circuit is a big muff, and of course a Ram's Head version.

somnif

Very cool, and a great story to build a pedal around

(And I've used the Kit Rae page to get 3 friends into pedal building/electrical engineering and have spent way too long browsing it for it to be considered healthy. Only reason I recognize what Bender might mean on a BMP circuit  ;D  )

bluescage

Marshall Arts

This is what the "Berlin 90 Muff" looks like assembled.

alanp

The amount of thought and effort that went into this is very, very impressive.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

somnif

mjg

Cool pedal, and a good story to go with it.

But I just have to say, thanks a bunch, I've now had 'Winds of Change' in my head all day. :)

Marshall Arts

Quote from: somnif on March 22, 2017, 11:16:58 PM
By the way, what sort of enclosure is that?

It is a Rose&Krieger Blocan Cable Channel. Google that  :) :)

Marshall Arts

Quote from: mjg on March 22, 2017, 11:23:02 PM
Cool pedal, and a good story to go with it.

But I just have to say, thanks a bunch, I've now had 'Winds of Change' in my head all day. :)

I am sorry for that, I would not have mentioned that :)

Marshall Arts

Marshall Arts

And finally: The gut shot. On high gain pedals or pedals that induce audible clock signals, I use shielded wire from and to the jacks, this time a RG 178, which has only 1,8 mm diameter. It's much more work to strip/insulate/ground everything but it looks neat and is dead quiet.

bluescage