News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Sharkfin

Started by mjg, April 01, 2017, 09:31:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjg

Finally closed up a Sharkfin build today.  This one has been kicking my butt a bit, trying to figure out why it was making an ugly ticking noise in bypass mode.  Changing to shielded wires for the jacks, and running them direct to the 3PDT seems to have helped, and I also had to run the ground wire down from the rate LED to reduce the ticking noise.  All very strange, and the guts now don't look as neat, but it sounds OK. 

This is one of those weird sounding pedals that I like to build, then think "but when would I ever actually use this?".  The 'sample hold' sounds awesome... but I can't think of a song that it works with. 

The filter section also sounds really good.  You can get all sorts of sounds out of it depending on the settings.  Also sounds good with bass.  Very funky.  But I was rolling on the floor when we discovered the magical setting where bass guitar started to sound like really bad bathroom issues.  Hilarious. 

Enclosure is a Hammond red, which I've sprayed white on the top.  Then an inkjet sticky label.  The photo is one I took... they are beautiful looking creatures (when there is 5cm of plastic between you and them). 

I couldn't handle that some of the pots I used were different shaft lengths - so took to them with an angle grinder to even them up.  Tayda knobs on top. 

I've used a bi-colour LED - blue for effect on, and red flashes for the rate. 

BrianS

wgc

Sweet!  Some day I'll get mine working...
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

AntKnee

Try white waterslide paper. You wont have to paint the background.

Looks good!
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

bluescage

Aleph Null

Looks good! The bi-color LED is a clever idea.