News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Overdrive for Bass?

Started by aballen, April 01, 2017, 05:54:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aballen

It all started when I made him an arcadiator.  My bud, who is a real musician, gigs every week, you know, now has the pedal bug.  The arcadiator is a bit over the top for him though, even with the blend mod... I think he may use it to play a Jamariquai song, but thats it.

Anyone know a good bass overdrive?  He does not want a fuzz, or a distortion, he wants OD.  I loaned him a timmy, but he said it was too mild... I heard the klone does not boost the bass well.  I'm kind of in the dark when it comes to bass pedals, cause I don't play bass.  Seems like most pedals need to be modded to work well with bass, but I'm kind if in the dark here and I want to make him something that earns a permanent spot on his board.

Recommendations?

zombie_rock123

DAM Ezikiel is pretty highly regarded for bass
I sometimes label builds rockwright
https://www.instagram.com/rockwrightfx/

jimilee

jmkpcbs has a great one, guitarpcb has a great one and the one I use is the byoc bas overdrive.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

AntKnee

Ampegulator? Not sure if that is the right name, but may want to check into that.
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

jimilee

Quote from: AntKnee on April 01, 2017, 09:34:04 AM
Ampegulator? Not sure if that is the right name, but may want to check into that.
Ginger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

brucer

jposega

ROG Ginger for a very mild drive.

Something based on the Barbershop would be perfect.

The Southampton Fifth Gear is awesome... I believe it's based on an old Electra Distortion (or overdrive), which apparently is almost the same thing as the EQD Speaker Cranker.

Aleph Null

I've had good luck using a Red Llama clone for bass (with a couple of value changes). It gets nasty fast, though. The drive knob on a Klone is actually a dual gang pot; one affects the gain, the other blends in the distorted signal. You could use to separate pots for gain and a dry blend. A dry blend is a common approach to preserving the low end.