News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Aquaboy Build Help

Started by drumefecks, April 04, 2017, 02:46:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drumefecks

Hi all!

I am new to pedal building and I am taking on the aquaboy build (2016 Version) and had some questions about buying components. I do know that this build is not for novice pedal builders, but, I do have some electrical background, studying for my EE undergrad (Junior/Senior). When it comes to buying components, I never got experience with what parts are best for what in terms of dimensions, tolerances, and benifits of certain materials over others. Anyways, here are my questions:

Here is my cart at Digikey for reference: http://www.digikey.com/short/3wmrjd

- What tolerances for R and C are OK? I am going for lower tolerances wherever possible. Will the board still produce the same sound if I cheap out for higher tolerances?? Also, do all of the tolerances have to be the same, or can a few resistors be 5% and others be 1%?

- Difference between Ceramic/MLCC capacitors?? Tantalum Caps?? (I read somewhere that these are not good for audio applications)

- I am not sure if the dimensions for the caps I have in my cart will be OK. If not to much trouble could someone maybe check one of them from my cart?

- How are the XVive MN3005 chips with the coolaudio V571D chips? Close to the originals??

I am buying the MN3005 and V571D from small bear and I found a 22k trim pot at mouser electronics. Also, I bought the PCB from the madbean website.

AND one more question for future reference:

- When calibrating the delay with a scope, what should I be looking for? For the CLOCK it says to adjust until frequency is around 6-7kHz, but for the BIAS trim, what would I look for? Also for the CANCEL trim. We have function generators at school, could I use these to adjust the delay?

Sorry for all of the questions, I just want to make sure I buy the right stuff before I place an order and realize I got the wrong size/type.

Aleph Null

Effects circuits don't usually require very tight tolerances. So 5% should be fine, but 1% probably won't cost much more. Mixing and matching tolerances and materials usually won't hurt. Generally 1/4w resistors and mylar caps are assumed.  Most build docs will specify if something else is required.

I haven't built an aquaboy, but most effects you can calibrate by ear; strum and twist the trimmer until the effect kicks in.

madbean

- What tolerances for R and C are OK? I am going for lower tolerances wherever possible. Will the board still produce the same sound if I cheap out for higher tolerances?? Also, do all of the tolerances have to be the same, or can a few resistors be 5% and others be 1%?

A: Caps - 5 or 10% for film, 20% for electrolytic
Resistors - Metal film is always better, but mixing tolerances is fine.
All circuits built to the same specs may produce very slight differences in sound due to tolerances. Don't concern yourself with this. A yellow basketball is still a basketball.

- Difference between Ceramic/MLCC capacitors?? Tantalum Caps?? (I read somewhere that these are not good for audio applications)

A: All of these are fine for pedal circuits. Tantalum do have a somewhat shorter shelf life and MLCC can be microphonic is some circumstances. I use poly film for 1n and up and MLCC for pF values and it's never caused a problem.

- I am not sure if the dimensions for the caps I have in my cart will be OK. If not to much trouble could someone maybe check one of them from my cart?

A: The specs are the same for almost all MBP builds: film/ceramic caps are 5.08mm lead spacing and electrolytic are 2.54mm spacing. As long as you are sticking to 25-100v on film caps and 25v on electros the dimensions should be okay.

- How are the XVive MN3005 chips with the coolaudio V571D chips? Close to the originals??

A: Haven't used the XVive with the CoolAudio so I can't comment. Someone else made a comment on this combo recently...try searching.

I am buying the MN3005 and V571D from small bear and I found a 22k trim pot at mouser electronics. Also, I bought the PCB from the madbean website.

A: Trimmer can also be 20k or 25k...it shouldn't be a big deal.

AND one more question for future reference:

- When calibrating the delay with a scope, what should I be looking for? For the CLOCK it says to adjust until frequency is around 6-7kHz, but for the BIAS trim, what would I look for? Also for the CANCEL trim. We have function generators at school, could I use these to adjust the delay?

A:

Sorry for all of the questions, I just want to make sure I buy the right stuff before I place an order and realize I got the wrong size/type.

No problem - that's why we are here!~

drumefecks

You guys are awsome! Thank you for your help!