News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Woohoo! My first solo builds that work :)

Started by Dminner, April 12, 2017, 04:34:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dminner

Guitar synth and sonic reducer.

Both need tweaks...the synth has hardly any audible lower octave (maybe that is a factor of my amp and single coils, not sure) and the sonic reducer has a high pitch noise even when bypassed (actually louder when bypassed). BUT, both work and otherwise sound awesome :)

oip

smooth as all hell!  that wiring is physically satisfying to look at.  and the enclosure art is fantastic too

Aristatertotle

Nice! Killer enclosures as always, but great guts too.

m-Kresol

nice work Dan. don't I know the sonic reducer graphics? did you use them before?

also, now that you start building, optical bypass!! I won't tolerate 3PDT switching any longer! ;)
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

jimilee

Nicely done sir, and so very neat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Dminner

Quote from: m-Kresol on April 12, 2017, 03:53:15 PM
nice work Dan. don't I know the sonic reducer graphics? did you use them before?

also, now that you start building, optical bypass!! I won't tolerate 3PDT switching any longer! ;)

They are joy division graphics I used for a boost before.  The boost had identical graphics.  Someone saw a pic of the boost on another site and asked if I could built something, any circuit, for them in that enclosure.  So I thought I would try :) and decided to give the sonic reducer a go.  I have been researching the high pitched squeal.  Looks like it is normally caused by input and output wires being to close, but in my case moving the wires does nothing.  I may swap out the IC (I bought an extra of each) and see if that doesnt anything.  I am just glad it otherwise works :)

I don't even know what optical bypass means at this point....but if that means soft-touch switching, then yes!

bluescage

m-Kresol

Quote from: Dminner on April 12, 2017, 04:23:07 PM
I don't even know what optical bypass means at this point....but if that means soft-touch switching, then yes!

optical bypass is the one system that I used on the evil twin build. it's softer than a 3PDT - it uses a 2PDT and an optocoupler for the third pole - but is not soft touch by any means. for real soft touch you need a relais bypass system. It's pricier, but not that bad.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

Dminner

Ah ok.

Riddle me this: I think the component on the sonic reducer that is finicky is the tl072. But here is the strange part: pull the one that is in and put in a new tl072 and the squeal goes away, but circuit doesn't bit crush anymore. Weird, put the original back in and boom squeal is back but so is the bitcrushing. Get another new tl072 out of the pack (I have several of these) and again squeal is gone but so is bitcrushing. What is magic about this one ic that squeals but is the only one that will make the bitcrushing work?

AntKnee

Maybe it's a bad solder joint that you coincidentally press together or apart in the process of switching them out? It seems an odd problem to be related to the IC, so it may be something mechanical like that. Are all your TL072s the same make and model?

When you twist wires, try to remember not to twist audio with power or LFO wires. That can cause odd noise problems, roo.

Oh, and great work!
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

lincolnic

Way to go, Dan! Sorry you're having some issues, but I'm glad you finally took the plunge to build your own. Keep it up!

Freppo

That's great looking builds! Awesome work on the enclosure art as usual.
I'm honored that you choose are couple of Parasit projects as your first solo builds. :)

Sorry to hear about your issues, but I'm sure they can be solved.
I just replied to your 0415 enquiry here:
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=21731.15

The Sonic Reducer is a bit picky with chips. Are you using a LM324 for the quad op amp?
TL074 is a no go.. Does adjusting the trimmer do anything?

/ Fredrik
Ps. Doing house renovations and recording which has taken most of my time lately so sorry for being slow in my replies

Dminner

Quote from: Freppo on April 13, 2017, 10:25:27 AM

The Sonic Reducer is a bit picky with chips. Are you using a LM324 for the quad op amp?
TL074 is a no go.. Does adjusting the trimmer do anything?

So, I used a LM324N (that is all I could find, but the N is OK right?)  Adjusting the trimmer DOES do something.  The sound is clean and unaffected until I reach a certain point at which if I keep adjusting the bit crushing starts but so does the squeal.

peAk

I love it

your designs/style/etches are probably my favorite

And now you have clean wiring to go with it all.....

damn.

stringsthings

All You Need Is Love