News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

prawns and mustard

Started by cjkbug, August 23, 2011, 11:11:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjkbug

since I had such a good time building my hotcake clone, I decided to have a go at it's brother in arms the "prunes and custard"

my "prawns and mustard" was built on bahaman's layout I got off fsb last year. I forgot I had it until I was organizing my computer files. I had a real on a few years ago and this sounds spot on. If you've never heard one, check out some online demos. this fuzz is super unique. at extreme mix and drive settings it takes on an envelope filter sort of quality to the clipping causing all kinds of intermodulating frequencies. the sustained notes bloom with fizzy liquid like harmonic soup. it can also be used with bass and the lo frequency contour switch adds to the versatility of the fuzz.

I used a dpdt switch with an optocoupler switching circuit based on voodoo lab's bypass method. the perf is mounted on the back of the led and fixed to the floor of the box with double sided foam tape.

I got blisters on my fingers!!!

night-B

There's enough room in there to add a tube amp ;)

the3secondrule

Sweet Build! I had an original P&C many years ago, it's truly a psychotic fuzz  ;D

Quote from: cjkbug on August 23, 2011, 11:11:31 PM
since I had such a good time building my hotcake clone, I decided to have a go at it's brother in arms the "prunes and custard"

my "prawns and mustard" was built on bahaman's layout I got off fsb last year. I forgot I had it until I was organizing my computer files. I had a real on a few years ago and this sounds spot on. If you've never heard one, check out some online demos. this fuzz is super unique. at extreme mix and drive settings it takes on an envelope filter sort of quality to the clipping causing all kinds of intermodulating frequencies. the sustained notes bloom with fizzy liquid like harmonic soup. it can also be used with bass and the lo frequency contour switch adds to the versatility of the fuzz.

I used a dpdt switch with an optocoupler switching circuit based on voodoo lab's bypass method. the perf is mounted on the back of the led and fixed to the floor of the box with double sided foam tape.

"I have many leatherbound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

jimmybjj

as usual great build. Can you comment on the bypassing compared to other methods, do like it better than some of the other options available.
Pcbs no longer available

cab_eleven

Sigesmundninja

That's awsome, I've had my eyes on that pedal for years but never played one. Did you etch the board?

cjkbug

Quote from: Sigesmundninja on August 24, 2011, 06:59:21 AM
That's awsome, I've had my eyes on that pedal for years but never played one. Did you etch the board?
yeah I etched the board. the bypass works fine. details can be found here: http://stinkfoot.se/archives/1005

illcom

cjkbug

Quote from: illcom on August 24, 2011, 09:43:02 AM
looks good
I like big boxes
and I cannot lie...you other bruthas can deny... when a girl walks...oh excuse me.

dwstanford

For more information, call 1-900-MIXALOT.  8)

nzCdog

cool man... 'cloner audio"
like it 8)

illcom

Quote from: cjkbug on August 24, 2011, 10:13:39 AM
Quote from: illcom on August 24, 2011, 09:43:02 AM
looks good
I like big boxes
and I cannot lie...you other bruthas can deny... when a girl walks...oh excuse me.
I knew someone would say that :)

druz15

any chance you could send me the schem/layout you used? I'm looking to do a "hotcake/p&c in one box" build and can't seem to find a decent schem for this one anywhere.
Also is there any way to wire these pedals true bypass with 3PDTs? I have a feeling that the nature of the design of the circuits won't allow it, but I could be wrong.

Nice build

cjkbug

the layouts are on fsb, which is back online. the prawns was tb, and there is a vero hotcake that's tb on that forum. good luck.