News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Will a tablet pc cut it?

Started by zilla, April 18, 2017, 06:49:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zilla

It's that time where I need to look for a new pc.  Would a tablet windows pc be able to run something like eagle and inkscape?  I'd love to be able to work on layouts while I ride the train to work lol.

Also would a tablet pc be strong enough for reaper and video editing?

dbp512

I've played with the microsoft surface and lenovo equivalent tablets. They're really damn nice, and seriously made me consider dropping my mac and getting one. I don't remember the specs off the top of my head, but it should be able to handle eagle/inkscape without issue. Video editing, on the other hand, heavily taxes the graphics chip (gpu), something these ultrathin computers skimp out on in favor of small size and longer battery life. Not to say it'd be impossible, perhaps just a bit laggier than you'd like.
"you truly are a transistor tickler, what with the application of germanium ointment to sensitive fuzzy areas. :)" - playpunk

EBRAddict

You could probably run Eagle on it. I run it on a 2006 dual core Pentium laptop. When I'm at home. Make sure you get the Pro version which runs a full O/S and not the dumbed-down version.

Video editing is probably pushing it. At the end of the day its a mobile CPU/GPU, like a souped-up Raspberry Pi.

cloudscapes

I have a surface pro 2. 8gb i5

eagle/inkscape? yep. no real problem.

video editing? not smoothly.