News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

what are you guys listening to at the moment?

Started by the3secondrule, August 25, 2011, 06:36:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flanagan0718

Quote from: zombie_rock123 on January 23, 2017, 06:27:27 AM
Protest the Hero really rustled my jimmies the first time I heard them. Kezia blew me away. Never could get into Fortress beyond Bloodmeat and Sequoia Throne and still need to give 3 & 4 a listen. I read that Chris Adler drummed on their recent album, what a combination!

Kezia was amazing. got it when it came out. Still my favorite by them. Sequoia Throne was good, There were a TON of weird time signatures and key changes, it kind of threw me off a bit but i still enjoyed it. Scorrilous (their 3rd album) is my second favorite. That was more in line with Kezia. After that there were line up changes and I thought that it changed their creativity or direction too much. I'm not a big Adler fan but he did some decent work on Volition (their 4th album). Volition was good, it followed Scorrilous well. I though they started to fade (creativity wise) a bit but lots of people liked it. I'm not sure if it's because of Adler's presence or not but that's why I think people flocked to it.
      This album (Pacific Myth) just looses me. I saw the Vinyl in my local music store (Bullmoose) and almost paid $30 for it. Honestly I'm kind of glad my cheap Irish side of the brain kicked in. First, $30 is WAY TOO MUCH for a record. Second, I typically listen to it (stream it) before I buy it. It just didn't blow me away like most of their other albums. Worth a listen.

alanp

Lemmy Kilmister, covering "Stand By Me". One of those covers that, on paper, sounds utterly daft.

But it works, really, really well.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

jubal81

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

flanagan0718

Decided to check out a new (to me) band. Really good stuff. Reminds me a lot of the hardcore scene when I was in high school. If you like that sort of thing you should check them out.

flanagan0718

I don't know why i never really checked these guys out but this album is great! I'll have to check out their back log.

alanp

I know there's a general youtubery thread somewhere, can't find it though.

This is a very cool device (no, Juan, not that sort of Cool Devices), very cunning
- Terry Pratchett
My website

bluescage

Fndr8875

Always been a big kings of leon fan, lotta people only like there old stuff, or hate them or love them, either way i dont care i like them. Havent listened to them in a bit so been listening there latest release WALLS and Mechanical Bull, like i said been a min since i listened to them. Anyway they are really good live, found this video of them from when they were on letterman. With the guitar screams, and pitch shifting bass line that sounds like a keyboard. Pretty cool i think. Also had forgotten about porcupine tree, just got done listening to Trains, love that song. Also Mac Demarco, theres a youtube channel from a seattle radio station KEXP that has some killer live sessions, super high quality audio and video. Ill get on there and just click on random bands, most of which ive never heard of , and have been really suprised at how many of those bands i now listen to on a regular basis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYECLfqjdnw

Thats a link to the kings of leon performance, even if u dont like them check out the performance it sounds really cool to me and innovative, bass line is sweet.

alanp

The local radio stations spammed them so many many times, that they're really... meh, to me.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

davent

Went into Toronto and saw Drive-By Truckers for the first time last Saturday, (Feb4). Sure hope i get another chance and another...

Picked up a few cd's 20% off while in Toronto, HMV is closing all their Canadian stores so a lot of the last weeks playlist was from these.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Strategy

I've been listening to CAN. Their totally unique drummer Jaki Liebezeit died week before last.

I can't make the youtube embeds work. here's a link.

https://youtu.be/d1Wp5PWZ20w?list=RDJ3VdIDxMg74

Fndr8875

only KOL songs ive ever heard on radio are use somebody and sex on fire, both of which are totally meh to me, Its there deep cuts i like, like Trani. I first heard them on Satelite radio, idk i always forget when im directly asked. listening to Kurt Vile now..

DPTX

Wall the moon's live album "you are not alone" while building my mood ring

midwayfair

flanagan0718

Another post-rock band for you. These guys are a bit of a different flavor tho. Enjoy!