News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

what are you guys listening to at the moment?

Started by the3secondrule, August 25, 2011, 06:36:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

diablochris6

I've had a hankering for stoner/space rock for a while now and I stumbled across the Stoned Meadow of Doom channel that showcases a bunch of bands that you might never hear of. Some great stuff on this channel!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCknVpWR6m2Ijzkqo-aPXs_g

A nice little sample...
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

Netnnk

The Stoned Meadow channel is always on an open tab for me. What else would I listen to while building a new fuzz?

TheDude

Quote from: diablochris6 on January 18, 2018, 02:36:16 PM
I've had a hankering for stoner/space rock for a while now and I stumbled across the Stoned Meadow of Doom channel that showcases a bunch of bands that you might never hear of. Some great stuff on this channel!

Quote from: Netnnk on January 18, 2018, 03:04:43 PM
The Stoned Meadow channel is always on an open tab for me. What else would I listen to while building a new fuzz?

I love that channel! I've found more new bands there than anywhere else in the last year. Top 5:

The Machine
Colourhaze
Ecstatic Vision
Asteroid
Valley of the Sun

Also if you haven't heard of the Desert Sessions check them out. Now. Particularly the Desert Sessions Vol. 1 & 2. Its a side project from Josh Homme of Queens of the Stone Age where he just got all his buddies together and they recorded. Vol. 1 & 2 were recorded by locking the group in a studio for 3 straight days under heavy psilocybin influence. Easily in my top 15 albums of all time. If you like driving rock, check it. You'll thank me later.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

The dude abides

alanp

Bearing in mind that I only know that he did a song called "Hallelujah" back in the dawn of history...

Leonard Cohen's track, "You Want It Darker", is utterly, absolutely, and in all ways amazing.

It's a swansong, like Cash's _Hurt_ or Bowie's _Blackstar_.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

midwayfair

About two day's worth of Alfred Schnittke, mostly his cello compositions. Probably the most consistently "terrifying" art music I've ever heard. The guy had a real flair for absurdity and dissonance (not just in terms of "these notes don't belong together" but also with the rhythms).

287m

i just can't imagine,
when i young and have too much energy and ideas, have bassist like Widi, my life is different than today
God save metal, i know.

brejna

I found this cover of Toto and it sounds great! :)

fair.child

Quote from: brejna on January 22, 2018, 08:44:49 AM
I found this cover of Toto and it sounds great! :)

Wow.. this is amazing! Thanks for sharing. Glad to know there is still a Toto fans around.

midwayfair

Quote from: alanp on January 21, 2018, 01:22:52 AM
Leonard Cohen's track, "You Want It Darker", is utterly, absolutely, and in all ways amazing.

I love, love his voice since the mid 80s, just so incredibly majestic. The level of gravitas he achieved is unreal.

somnif

Ah but if you want TRUE gravitas, one need look no further than the album I just bought for my former roommate for his birthday:

Every track is split, half Shatner chewing his way through some Shakespear, half "singing", and it is all AMAZING. I swear he has a minor mental break in the last line of this track.

stringsthings

Cars, "Move Like This".  A great album from a great band.
Although I do miss Ben Orr, the remaining members had great chemistry
and effortlessly made some great music in 2011.

I do wish that they would've let Elliot Easton play a few solos, though.
Superb guitar player.  The combo of his work with Hawkes is worth paying for.
And David Robinson was a big influence on me.  And of course, top all of it with
Ocasek's strong songwriting and vocals.
All You Need Is Love

davent

Pops up from the depths on a randomly loaded, mystery ipod, just put this on repeat while i was out shovelling snow this morning, the shovelling was effortless, the dancing was slippery. De Staat, My Blind Baby, my ipod has a studio version, this is a live radio version of the song.

dave

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

davent

Quote from: midwayfair on January 21, 2018, 08:06:42 AM
About two day's worth of Alfred Schnittke, mostly his cello compositions. Probably the most consistently "terrifying" art music I've ever heard. The guy had a real flair for absurdity and dissonance (not just in terms of "these notes don't belong together" but also with the rhythms).

That was great Jon, had never heard of the composer before and the cello is such a great dark dark insrument. Took classical guitar for a lot of years and was never able to find those pissed off, angry, paint peeling notes so inherent to the cello.

Piano bits near the end immediately  brought to mind the piano intro to Atomic Rooster's, Death Walks Behind You.

Bought the Leonard Cohen after hearing the title track and for me none of the rest of the album could come close to that one track, so good, so dark!
dave

dave

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

TheDude

Anyone else listened to the stream of the new Legend of the Seagullmen album? The band is a supergroup featuring Brent Hinds of Mastodon on guitar, Danny Carry of Tool on drums, Pete Griffin of Zappa Plays Zappa and Deathklok on bass, and a couple of other lesser names, including director Jimmy Hayward (Jonah Hex, Horton Hears A Who) on guitar as well.

The first track sucked me in, and I can honestly say it's been one of the few new albums in recent years I've loved from beginning to end. Driving, groovy rhythms, wailing guitars, perfectly atmospheric synth, guttural vocals, and lyrics that, while simple and almost silly at times, tell a great series of stories. Definitely worth a listen if you have a chance.

The dude abides

Haberdasher

Some old (1982) Dregs w my favorite player, Steve Morse

Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS