News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

what are you guys listening to at the moment?

Started by the3secondrule, August 25, 2011, 06:36:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

So much to love in this one. I love the harmonica, and the soft as velvet singing, and I love that gold top P-90's tone, going from clean (ish) to filthy when Wilson wants it to (no pick, I like this guy!)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

KMRO

Saturday mornings are for some good ZZ Top LPs (Tres Hombres, Fantango and First album) played on vinyl at a high volume on large speakers with the window open. 

alanp

"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

peccary

I woke up this morning and threw  Knock Knock by Smog on the record player.

Good way to start the day.

Bret608

I'll bet it was! I saw Smog open up for Sebadoh at Tipitina's in New Orleans in early 1995. It was pretty great.

matmosphere

Anybody else spend some time back in the nineties listening to Urge Overkill?

They are probably best know for the cover of Girl You'll be a Woman Soon and this:

That record (saturation) and the one before it (supersonic story book) are both solid, good listens and lots of fun, but their next one, Exit the Dragon,  is a great overlooked album.

Very cool guitar playing and some really solid tones. These guys were clearly around in the wrong decade, if this record had came out 20 years earlier, or 20 years later I think more people would have been into it, but it has a melodic, poppy, sensibility that seems out of place in the nineties. They clearly had spent a long time buried in stuff like the Nuggets, and Mind Rocker comps of sixties one-hit stuff.

Been stuck in a loop of listening to stuff I was into as a teenager. The Cure, Sonic Youth, The Breeders.. good stuff

lars

This song has:  Bad timing. Unintelligible words. Loud noises. No clear direction. It's 2020-21 perfectly wrapped up into one song!
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

davent

Quote from: lars on May 27, 2021, 07:18:50 AM
This song has:  Bad timing. Unintelligible words. Loud noises. No clear direction. It's 2020-21 perfectly wrapped up into one song!

I read T-Bone Burnett is the drummer on that. The Legendary Stardust Cowboy was the inspiration for Bowie's Ziggy character and Bowie covered another of his songs on Heathen.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

peccary

Quote from: Bret608 on May 18, 2021, 05:52:27 AM
I'll bet it was! I saw Smog open up for Sebadoh at Tipitina's in New Orleans in early 1995. It was pretty great.

Wow, what a great lineup and a great time to have seen both bands!

jjjimi84

On Sundays I spin vinyl for my son, today is elton johns tumbleweed connection and jason isbell live from alabama.

lars

davent

Anyone else subscribe to the Levitation youtube channel, much to enjoy, explore...

Slift
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJYEbyRfMKY
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

peccary

Just finished up listening to some Bonnie "Prince" Billy and put The Mountain Goats' Heretic Pride on. Good times.

gordo

That Chicago cover is amazing!!!  Drummer is killin it.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

lars

Quote from: gordo on June 19, 2021, 01:27:38 PM
That Chicago cover is amazing!!!  Drummer is killin it.
Yeah. Their drummer has some serious skills. The whole band does. You should check out some of their other covers. Speaking of Chicago, how did this song slip through the cracks? This came out in 1979. It seriously sounds like a Stevie Ray Vaughn song, before he was famous. I could easily picture him performing it. The guitar solo has that SRV-sound, before it became popular: