News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

what are you guys listening to at the moment?

Started by the3secondrule, August 25, 2011, 06:36:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

My two favourite classical composers are Bach (for complexity), and Tchaikovsky (for emotion.) Beethoven is third.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

gingataff

Quote from: ch1naski on June 02, 2013, 09:21:38 PM
Leo Kottke... i just scored front row tickets to see this obviously alien guitar player.

I love me some Kottke. Great musician and songwriter and a funny guy too.

alanp

I read a review in a magazine... I'm pretty sure it was Kottke... he plays fingerstyle and listens to that because a lot of his hearing disappeared in the Navy, and he wants to be careful of what is left of it.

It could be a different fingerstyle player.

Tommy Emmanuel is also a great fingerstyle player :)
- Terry Pratchett
My website

ch1naski

Quote from: alanp on June 02, 2013, 09:47:59 PM
I read a review in a magazine... I'm pretty sure it was Kottke... he plays fingerstyle and listens to that because a lot of his hearing disappeared in the Navy, and he wants to be careful of what is left of it.

It could be a different fingerstyle player.

Tommy Emmanuel is also a great fingerstyle player :)
I was bummed out because I missed Tommy play here about a year or so ago. I made sure that don't happen with Leo.
And, my fiance loves his playing,  too. So it should be a good night, know what I mean.....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
one louder.

midwayfair

Quote from: alanp on June 02, 2013, 01:45:42 PM

His version of minor swing is pretty incredible, too. I think this will be "what I'm listening to" this morning. :)

ch1naski

Holy smokes, that guy can flatpick and fingerpick! Sweet Georgia Brown!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
one louder.

Bret608

Quote from: raulduke on May 23, 2013, 01:57:46 AM
Quote from: Bret608 on May 22, 2013, 02:28:52 PM
Tame Impala is what I brought to work today. Makes me want to build a phaser!

Yes!

Lonerism is one of the best produced albums I've heard in years.

David Friedmann is a pretty amazing producer IMO.

Absolutely, I love the way Kevin Parker thinks as a producer/composer. Despite the retro leanings sonically, he thinks more like an electronic producer, almost a Kevin Shields-type mentality.

raulduke

The National's new album is out.

Brilliant lyrics, but I'm not sure its up to the same standard as their last effort, High Violet.

I'm hoping it's a grower  ;)

selfdestroyer

Quote from: raulduke on June 04, 2013, 01:48:26 AM
The National's new album is out.

Brilliant lyrics, but I'm not sure its up to the same standard as their last effort, High Violet.

I'm hoping it's a grower  ;)

I agree with you.. I was disappointed for now but its going to get a few more listens before I judge.

lincolnic

I also came here to talk about the new National album...at first I felt it didn't quite stack up to High Violet either, but I've been listening to it at least once a day since it came out, and it's grown on me in a big way.

Just for contrast, High Violet (which I love) took a solid year to grow on me. So I'd say this one's ahead of the game.

Fun fact: my studio got a shout-out in the "thank you"s in the liner notes! The band came and used our space for rehearsals and writing for two weeks last year before heading upstate to start recording in earnest.

alanp

Quote from: midwayfair on June 03, 2013, 06:05:07 AM
His version of minor swing is pretty incredible, too. I think this will be "what I'm listening to" this morning. :)

While I was getting my LP set up, the luthier showed me another Youtube vid at the same time -- Tommy Emmanuel and Joscho Stephan. I don't have the link handy :(

Joscho was running down the fretboard... ran out of frets, and kept going! Amazing...
- Terry Pratchett
My website

Effectsiation

I keep coming back to these two bands, lately:

Cortexturizer

https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

micromegas

Quote from: Cortexturizer on June 05, 2013, 08:18:58 AM

That Earth's album is awesome. I really love Mr. Frisell's touch on this song.
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io