News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Automatic center punch

Started by AntKnee, May 05, 2017, 03:20:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AntKnee

Mine keeps slipping and sticking. Is there a way to fix these, or do they just wear out after a while? They seem simple enough, but no matter how many times I take it apart, I can't find the problem.
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

kgull

I've seen the springs get bent a bit when someone used a hammer not realizing it was an automatic punch (it was a college robotics lab). If you loosened the tension a lot it still kinda worked but I usually just tore it apart and used the hardened steel tip and a hammer as a regular punch whenever I needed it.

Maybe try stretching the spring out a bit if messing with the tension doesn't do it?

flanagan0718

Is yours the harbor freight one. I have that one and I need to take it apart every once and a while. It's left hand thread btw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gtr2

My HF does it too...
I just unscrew/screw and back to punching
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

AntKnee

It is not the HF one. I got it on Amazon, had it for almost two years.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000HTAH70/ref=cm_cr_srp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

Someone posted in the reviews they had the same problem, which they fixed with some graphite lube. I will try that.
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

stecykmi

ya mine does the same thing, ive had it for years and i cant remember where i got it anymore. it has a pretty nice machined brass (i think) handle but i do have to open it up and mess around with the spring a bit.

pickdropper

I have two of the General brand ones and the quality just isn't as good as it used to be.  I think I'm just going to pony up for a nice Starrett one.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

somnif

I used a harbor freight one for a while, and it was infuriating. Hurt my hand to push on, would constantly misalign itself so it wouldn't "fire", just all around annoying.

Upgraded to this model from amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-02638A-Automatic-Center-Adjustable/dp/B008DXYOLC/ref=sr_1_6?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1494296020&sr=1-6&keywords=center+punch

Smoother action, big plastic bulb on the end makes it a lot less palm bruising, and it even makes a better mark in aluminum. I've only used it for ~6 months or so, but its holding up pretty well too.