News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Good or Unpopular album opinions

Started by flanagan0718, May 11, 2017, 02:07:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davent

Quote from: mjg on May 13, 2017, 05:51:30 AM

Peter Garrett's solo album.   I love(d) Midnight Oil, but then the lead singer takes 10 years off to be a politician, and comes back with a solo album which I really didn't like.   :'(

Didn't know he'd done a solo album, hmmm.

Tickets for the Midnight Oil's show here next Saturday sold out to the American Express crowd before they went on sale to the working classes. First saw them in a tiny club in the early eighties up to big arenas, festival shows through the years. This would have been the perfect size, crushed-in-stand-up show but i will not buy from the re-sellers.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

juansolo

Quote from: Rockhorst on May 12, 2017, 08:50:44 AM
I like your list Juan! A lot  ;D Should've included some Rainbow in my already too long list. But live in Germany is one of the greatest live albums out there.

There are some belting live albums out there, so much so it could have it's own category:

Kiss - Alive! - To this day the finest thing they ever did.
Deep Purple - Made In Japan - Possibly the greatest collection of muso's ever to form a band. Here at the very height of their powers.
Rainbow - On Stage - Ok, more Blackmore I know, but this time with our lord Ronnie James Dio \m/
Queensryche - Operation Livecrime - Just as awesome live as it is on album
Marilyn Manson - The Last Tour on Earth - Despite being a fan of industrial music I often find the studio albums to be too perfect and clean. I like the nastiness of it live, and this is just about as nasty as it comes. This goes for Nine Inch Nails too. Listen to The Slip Live Rehearsals (they came with it on DVD) and I'm left feeling that I'd just would have liked the whole album made that way...
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

shedland

QuoteListen to The Slip Live Rehearsals (they came with it on DVD) and I'm left feeling that I'd just would have liked the whole album made that way...

Your right Juan, the rehearsals are far better than the album, same goes for 'Every day is exactly the same'.

I really liked the live album 'Beside you in time', as well as the Woodstock performance. Its good to see what a band is actually capable of live rather than how many layers they can put in the chorus (looking at you Mr Corgan).

timbo_93631

I'm gonna have to do another, first 5 good, second five '80s vernacular "Baaaaad!"
Good:
Byrds - Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Roy Buchanan - Telemaster Live in '75
Charles Bradley - Changes
Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
Deltron 3030 - Deltron 3030

5 "Baaaad":
The Meters - The Meters
Alton Ellis - Rocksteady
Marie Queenie Lyons - Soul Fever
The Gaylads - Fire and Rain
Linton Kwesi Johnson - LKJ in Dub

Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

alanp

Never actually heard any of The Flaming Lips' albums.

I first heard them on the Tribute to Deep Purple -- Remachined album, and it was so disjointed, out of place, and sounded contrived, compared to all the other tracks, that it left a bad taste in my ears.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

peAk

I don't mind being the lone defender of U2

War, Blood Red Sky, Rattle and Hum, Joshua Tree, Unforgettable Fire, Achtung Baby, All That you Cant Leave behind....

All great albums IMO.

Edge created a sound of his own and I have a ton of respect for his guitar playing.

Bono? Yeah....he's a turd. He can sing though.

thesmokingman

the flaming lips are a real love or hate kinda deal. if I were to have included my mp3 collection in my list, I probably would have included with a little help from my fwends in my 5 good.
the best analogy I have is the gastropub. either you are ok with your deconstructed cheeseburger or you're really pissed off that you can't just get a goddamn cheeseburger like you wanted.
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

flanagan0718

METAL MONDAY FIVE!!!

\m/
Between The Buried And Me - The Silent Circus (Changed me forever!)
Killswitch Engage - Alive or Just Breathing (SO MANY RIFFS)
Fear Factory - Obsolete (what more can I say "BREAK OF THE EDGE CRUSHER")
Pantera - The Great Southern Trendkill
Intervals - A Voice Within (Instrumental Version only)

:'(
Intervals - A Voice Within (The Version with the singer is TERRIBLE, it almost ruined it entirely)
Opeth - Watershed (I just...I wanted to like it...urg)
Avenged Sevenfold - Any and ALL OF IT. I don't know why but it urks me when people say that are metal. I think of them as the butt rock of metal
Lamb Of God - just can't get past Randy's awful vocals
Pantera - Reinventing Steel (this still makes me sad to think about)

culturejam

Quote from: peAk on May 15, 2017, 01:21:37 PM
I don't mind being the lone defender of U2

I like U2 quite a bit. They've put out a hell of a lot of good tunes over the years.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

timbo_93631

Quote from: alanp on May 15, 2017, 06:09:37 AM
Never actually heard any of The Flaming Lips' albums.

I first heard them on the Tribute to Deep Purple -- Remachined album, and it was so disjointed, out of place, and sounded contrived, compared to all the other tracks, that it left a bad taste in my ears.
I find the covers they do to be some of their worst work.  I always get the feeling they​ purposefully try to make a cover as awful and uninspired as possible.  It's worth exploring a bit more before you decide you really can't​ abide the Lips
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

EBRAddict

Top 5:

In no particular order:

Ott - Blumenkraft
Thin Lizzy - Life live double album
Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Rush - Exit Stage Left
Bob Marley - Legends (OK, its a compilation, still one of my favorites)

Notable: there's a good body of work by Phish, Ministry, The Black Keys, Cypress Hill, Shpongle that could easily get bumped into that list.

Bottom 5:

Rush -- Power Windows and anything after
Pink Floyd -- Anything sans Waters
Grateful Dead -- Never got it
Yngwie Malmsteen -- sounds like insects mating
U2 -- Is Pretentious Rock a thing?

GermanCdn

Quote from: flanagan0718 on May 15, 2017, 01:59:59 PM

Avenged Sevenfold - Any and ALL OF IT. I don't know why but it urks me when people say that are metal. I think of them as the butt rock of metal

I assume that all members of AV7 were conceived in the bathrooms during the GNR/Metallica tour of 92, because most of what they put out sounds like a bad derivative of Use Your Illusions and the Black Album.  I say most, because I actually really enjoyed Hail to the King, but the rest of it is pretty tough to listen to.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

culturejam

Quote from: EBRAddict on May 15, 2017, 04:40:12 PM
Ott - Blumenkraft

Never heard of this until you posted. Giving it a listen now. It sounds a LOT like Shpongle / Entheogenic, so I did some digging and turns out Ott is the engineer behind Shpongle (or at least he engineered a couple of their albums). Definitely sounds similar in the details.

I should have probably put "Are You Shpongled?" on my top list. That one really blew my mind.  ;D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

EBRAddict

Quote from: culturejam on May 15, 2017, 08:02:08 PM
Quote from: EBRAddict on May 15, 2017, 04:40:12 PM
Ott - Blumenkraft

Never heard of this until you posted. Giving it a listen now. It sounds a LOT like Shpongle / Entheogenic, so I did some digging and turns out Ott is the engineer behind Shpongle (or at least he engineered a couple of their albums). Definitely sounds similar in the details.

I should have probably put "Are You Shpongled?" on my top list. That one really blew my mind.  ;D

All of Ott's albums are masterpieces if you're into that genre. If you like Shpongle you might like Infinity Project and Hallucinogen, too. Same people.

flanagan0718

A couple of great albums I've been listening to lately.

Weeknd - Starboy
This Patch Of Sky - The Immortal, The Invisible
Between The Buried and Me - Coma Ecliptic
Nine Inch Nails - Add Violence

A few that I was looking forward to that disappointed me   :'(

Gorilliaz - Humanz (thought this was going to be way better than it was. it's awful modern hip hop over real instruments. very disappointed in this one)
We Came As Romans - S/T (wasn't horrible but wasn't great either)
UnderOath - Disambiguation (i heard this years ago when it first came out. Didn't like it then so i gave it another try...still bad)