News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Feature Requests on Relay Bypass PCB Project(s)

Started by aziltz, August 26, 2011, 07:32:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aziltz

I'm trying to get the Prototype order out for the Relay Bypass project I am working on.

I need some feedback/suggestions from those interested in this for possible features.

So far I am working on a Single Relay configured for single Effect Bypassing, via on board momentary or remote momentary switch.

It could be wired as an AB switch, and controlled via on board or remote momentary switch.

It could also be used to create an amp foot switch where you need to connect two control lines together from the amp for channel switching.  This would allow you to incorporate the amp switch into a bigger true bypass box or similar.

The relay runs on 2 mosfets and a CD4049UBE inverter chip.  There will also be a 3rd mosfet for an optional "Soft" Ramp on the effect output, to avoid pops because of noise/sound levels.

It will include a status LED.

Other considerations/suggestions that would make this attractive to users?

aflynt

I think the biggest things for me are how it performs. IE: signal doesn't cut out or cause an audible pop when switched, switches consistently with different shorting durations and frequencies. It would also be nice it it would default to bypassed when the power source is removed. Low parts cost would be a plus too. :)

-Aaron

aziltz

its a latching relay, so it defaults to the previous stage, just like mechanical bypass.  It always bothered me how the Boss Pedals default to ON I think, and I wanted to.  The latching relay also draws the least amount of power.

It uses a flip flop to debounce the switch, and only triggers on the make, so duration is not an issue.  Frequency I am testing, but its one of those things where you can make it faster if you need it because it is discrete.

The relay itself is a mechanical switch, ableit a much more robust one than typical 3PDTs/  I am including a mosfet switch on the effect return that ramps on the sound very smoothly but quickly to avoid pop associated with different sound levels, while still retaining the true bypass configuration.

jimmybjj

Quote from: aflynt on August 26, 2011, 08:04:45 AM
I think the biggest things for me are how it performs. IE: signal doesn't cut out or cause an audible pop when switched, switches consistently with different shorting durations and frequencies. It would also be nice it it would default to bypassed when the power source is removed. Low parts cost would be a plus too. :)

-Aaron

+1 I'm more worried about function than features. As long as it functions 100 percent of the time I
Good, although a led would be nice.
Pcbs no longer available

jubal81

Quote from: jimmybjj on August 26, 2011, 08:18:01 AM
Quote from: aflynt on August 26, 2011, 08:04:45 AM

-Aaron

+1 I'm more worried about function than features. As long as it functions 100 percent of the time I
Good, although a led would be nice.

My sentiments exactly. Really looking forward to this for a big project I have in mind.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

aziltz

Yes, of course.  I may have mentioned before that this is based on a verified circuit by RG at http://www.geofex.com/FX_images/ltchrly.gif

I've improved upon it to drive a latching relay via Mosfets, etc.  The relay is the TQ2-L-5V, also used in Jack Deville's system, he has tested the relay to 400,000+ cycles (and the manufacturer claims it can do much more.)  http://www.clicklesstruebypass.com/

cjkbug

static protection diode for the mosfets would be a good Idea.
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

aziltz

Quote from: cjkbug on August 26, 2011, 09:08:26 AM
static protection diode for the mosfets would be a good Idea.

got that too.  I'll get the schematic up this weekend.

cjkbug

great, that feature was lacking in another design I've tried and it's functionality was short lived. can't wait to see what you've come up with. ;)
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

aziltz

Here's what we're working with.  This is a single relay set up for true bypassing an effect, with an optional electronic switch on the effect return.  It can also be used to make/break connections, or as an AB switch, etc.

Trigger switches can be placed in parallel (ex, 1 on board, 1 remote via isolated TS, XLR or DIN connector.

Major Parts,
1 Latching Relay
1 4049UBE
1 5V Regulator
3 Mosfets (2 for Relay, 1 for Optional Switch)

Overall space is takes up about 1.85" by 1.25", which isn't tiny, but could still fit in a 1590B if you dropped the battery.  This isn't meant to be the tiniest, most efficient option, but rather its designed to work with off the shelf parts, and be versatile.  Use it for custom switcher and remote switcher applications, etc.

I only have to test out the Mosfet switch before I'm ready to send this to the prototyper.

[attachment deleted by admin]

sgmezei

These look great and I can't wait to get my hands on a couple. By chance, would they be able to do something like this:
http://woboge.com/boxes_doublelooper.html

My buddy has one and it works awesome. A really cool unit that uses the soft touch switches.

aziltz

yes, with 2 boards you could do that.  I'm may work on some other more advanced projects based on this in the future, but for now this will cover many bases.

aziltz

Hey Friends.  I finished the layout saturday, but lost power before I could place a prototype order, so it will go next weekend.  I am hoping to have that in hand, tested and if things go well, I might have these in bulk at the beginning of October.

If you guys have any other ideas for projects you'd like to see me hash out, please feel free to let me know.

jubal81

Great news. Any recommendation on what footswitch (brand/style/make, etc) to use with it?
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

aziltz

not yet, but I will!

How about a micro-sized 2 band Bax-type EQ, like the Xotic Boosters have.  I think I can make something under 1 square inch. thoughts?