News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

EOL (End of Life) parts, substitutes

Started by gwade001, May 17, 2017, 08:24:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gwade001

Good discussion.  Thanks for all the input.

I don't mind soldering SMD, but that is because my real job has giving me much practice.  But what I do see as a problem is breadboarding, if I ever come to that level of experimentation.

wgc

Well, my thinking is that in the near future (10 years?) a lot of the SMD some of us are using today will become end of life. Most electronics will be designed around microprocessors and breadboarded as software simulations.

We already have examples of this in spice, the fv-1 chip, and Arduino. Pretty much all the pieces are there already, it just hasn't hit the tipping point yet. It will be interesting to see this diy hobby morph into amp and stomp box modeling. ;D

We'll be posting algorithms, swapping bits of code, and troubleshooting glitchy decays. Some will wonder what is the best order for multithreaded loops.

A few rich people will continue using $140 j201s and $6 47k resistors, citing all the benefits of "true analog."  (I'm not sure analog will ever really die but I look at my cassette collection and think about how quickly things change.)

But more to your immediate point, I find it quick enough to swap out smd passives or even ice that it hasn't been an issue. Also it's possible (for now) to use dev pcbs and mix with traditional bread boards.
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

jubal81

Quote from: wgc on May 19, 2017, 07:47:22 PM
Well, my thinking is that in the near future (10 years?) a lot of the SMD some of us are using today will become end of life. Most electronics will be designed around microprocessors and breadboarded as software simulations.

We already have examples of this in spice, the fv-1 chip, and Arduino. Pretty much all the pieces are there already, it just hasn't hit the tipping point yet. It will be interesting to see this diy hobby morph into amp and stomp box modeling. ;D

We'll be posting algorithms, swapping bits of code, and troubleshooting glitchy decays. Some will wonder what is the best order for multithreaded loops.

A few rich people will continue using $140 j201s and $6 47k resistors, citing all the benefits of "true analog."  (I'm not sure analog will ever really die but I look at my cassette collection and think about how quickly things change.)

But more to your immediate point, I find it quick enough to swap out smd passives or even ice that it hasn't been an issue. Also it's possible (for now) to use dev pcbs and mix with traditional bread boards.

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

wgc

At least you didn't call me a party pooper. ;D

I had been out with some friends and had a couple of beers just prior to that post. So I was serious but also very tongue in cheek. 

Rest assured, plenty of years left for the hobby as it exists today. It might get a little more expensive but I see the continued use of vacuum tubes as a great example.

And as technology continues to evolve, we might be able to use freeware to design and fab our own op amps and bbds much like we can do with pcbs from oshpark today.
e.e. cummings

pickdropper

Quote from: wgc on May 19, 2017, 07:47:22 PM

To a certain degree, I think a lot of this will happen; at least with DIYers getting more into modeling.

As far as through-hole parts, I think DIYers will have access for a while assuming the actual businesses don't use most of them up.  We can still get Ge transistors for DIY building, so small numbers of parts should be around for a little while.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

wgc

Yeah, pretty much what I was thinking. I am excited about the possibility of microprocessors and what they could offer.

As for diy fx moving towards software, I think there's sounds to be had that aren't straight up modeled copies of existing gear but maybe even blur the lines into synthesis. The sky is the limit, soon as someone has both the expertise and vision to do it.

I'm also very excited about the possibility of designing custom ic's and having them fabbed the way we can get pcbs from oshpark. Again, all the pieces are there but not cost effective yet.

All joking aside, the future is very bright from where I stand.
e.e. cummings

Adam_DIY