Main Menu

Monoprice 15w tube amp?

Started by blearyeyes, May 20, 2017, 07:36:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blearyeyes

Anyone tried one of these ?

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=611815

3x12AX7 in pre and 2 EL84 for power.

The Celestion is a 80/70. I bought 4 refurbs for $29 each. Sounded like hell at first but they have broken in just fine.

They have a 5w might make a decent bench amp..?

thesmokingman

I've had a couple generic chinese tube amps over the years ... a johnson 15 watt tube combo with spring reverb and a "revenge" 5 watt tube head ... it would be a very tough sell to get me into another
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

junkemail86

There are a fair number of people saying the Monoprice amps are repackaged the Laney Cubs.  The Monoprice 15w supposedly has the same circuit board as the Laney 12R.  The speakers may be different.

gordo

That would be pretty awesome.  I repaired a Cub once, they have a tendancy to shake themselves to pieces if you play loud, and thought it was a really cool little amp.  Solder joints and general tightening of pretty much everything and it was back in the game.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

blearyeyes

For $179 US Might be fun to shake one to pieces!

Reading the reviews they are pretty positive (for what it's worth) but the reverb tank is mediocre and is mounted on foam. Some complaints about it shaking and splashing. One guy mounted it on grommets for a fix. Someone stated it uses Ruby tubes which I have in a Vox hand wired I bought. So far so good there. Still... wouldn't put it through a drop test.

matmosphere