News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Duelin' Herbies dual filter

Started by Jules, April 29, 2017, 04:55:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jules

This is from forum member diablochris6 and is 2 x meatball/mutron filters in series on the same PCB. 1 is hard wired to sweep up and the other in the down direction resulting in a vocal/formant filter type sound. If that's not enough he also added a switchable LFO for both sides and an order switcher for the 2 filter circuits!
It is a whole lot of fun and sounds both wacky and great. It is not my neatest wiring job and I spent a whole 5 minutes labelling the top but it's a keeper for sure.
I had a few different Ldr types and found some 2meg dark types I got from futurlec for a doppelgänger build sound best so far. Because I used a bright blue led for the LFO indicator and it flashes all the time I made some shields for the ldrs so there is no interference, 1 is off for the picture.
Thanks Chris for a great project.

jimilee

That very intimidating. Very cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

BrianS

Nice job. I'm still collecting pots for mine. I'm up to 12, l think LOL.  Drollo's and Chris's projects are always interesting and some of my favorites.

bsoncini

I have mine all soldered up and then realized I'm missing one 500k pot. I was psyched to try it out but will have to wait a few weeks now.

Thanks for the info on the led/ldrs. I will report back when I get mine done.

Boba7

Very impressive, and looks like a lot of fun!! I would never have any use for it but I think I'd enjoy to build one!!

Congrats on a great great job!

diablochris6

I just saw this. Great job. Good job using the knob colors to differentiate the parts of the circuit. Glad you can get some crazy sounds out of it.
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

bluescage

bsoncini

I've been boxing this one up today. Glad it all still works. Really don't wanna have to take this one out of the box.

Been playing around with LEDs and ldrs all day.

One thing I noticed is the color knobs don't do much. Only the last bit of the rotation. I googled meatball color pot and stumbled on to diystompboxes. The suggestion there is to solder pin 2 and 3 of the color switch together. Did it and the color switch works much better for me now.  Much better range.

diablochris6

Quote from: bsoncini on May 25, 2017, 09:08:38 AM
I've been boxing this one up today. Glad it all still works. Really don't wanna have to take this one out of the box.

Been playing around with LEDs and ldrs all day.

One thing I noticed is the color knobs don't do much. Only the last bit of the rotation. I googled meatball color pot and stumbled on to diystompboxes. The suggestion there is to solder pin 2 and 3 of the color switch together. Did it and the color switch works much better for me now.  Much better range.

Thanks for the tip. I will have to give this a shot.

bsoncini

Definitely try it. It's easy enough to cut out the jumper if you don't like it. Just a warning. Things can get pretty ice picky with the color pot dimed.

Is it just my build or is there some phase issue with the blend pot?  In the middle the volume drops drastically. No big deal. Probably won't ever use it anyway.

diablochris6

Quote from: bsoncini on May 27, 2017, 10:10:23 AM
Is it just my build or is there some phase issue with the blend pot?  In the middle the volume drops drastically. No big deal. Probably won't ever use it anyway.

It's a result of the layout of the mix pots in the Meatball/Mutron. There are better options for blend controls, but my circuit is already complex enough and I wanted to stay true to the original circuits.