News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Re: Light Plate Installation

Started by K3yPr0gg3r, May 24, 2017, 07:43:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

K3yPr0gg3r

Hi,

I purchased a couple of Small Bears light plates (125B) recently, and I just wanted to check my connection understanding. I know I have to get a "Hi Bright" type LED, SB's plates are bluish so I guess I get blue. I understand I need to sand it to get it to a "diffused" state, and I need to get the top as flat as possible w/o ruining the LED. I've read that I need to place the LED as close to the center of the plate as possible...True? I use daughter boards, and I'm assuming the plate is a fancy replacement for the bypass LED, so would I just take some of my hook-up wire and 2 connected SIP sockets as extensions...wire that to the spot on the daughter board where the LED goes...place the LED into the sockets and than into the plate itself? I've also read only 1 LED is needed because the plate material acts as fiber optics, and gives a even dispersion of light. Have I got the installation correct or not? I already contacted SB, and they couldn't give me any installation instructions.

Thank you

midwayfair

There should be a tutorial on DIYstompboxes, which is where it was originally sold. I think it's actually linked on Aron's store page.

somnif

Quote from: K3yPr0gg3r on May 24, 2017, 07:43:33 AM
Hi,

I purchased a couple of Small Bears light plates (125B) recently, and I just wanted to check my connection understanding. I know I have to get a "Hi Bright" type LED, SB's plates are bluish so I guess I get blue. I understand I need to sand it to get it to a "diffused" state, and I need to get the top as flat as possible w/o ruining the LED. I've read that I need to place the LED as close to the center of the plate as possible...True? I use daughter boards, and I'm assuming the plate is a fancy replacement for the bypass LED, so would I just take some of my hook-up wire and 2 connected SIP sockets as extensions...wire that to the spot on the daughter board where the LED goes...place the LED into the sockets and than into the plate itself? I've also read only 1 LED is needed because the plate material acts as fiber optics, and gives a even dispersion of light. Have I got the installation correct or not? I already contacted SB, and they couldn't give me any installation instructions.

Thank you

I'm 99% sure the blue color in the pictures on the website is a plastic film on them to prevent scratches in shipment. The plastic itself is just clear colorless polycarb.

kgull

Quote from: somnif on May 24, 2017, 12:56:33 PM
I'm 99% sure the blue color in the pictures on the website is a plastic film on them to prevent scratches in shipment. The plastic itself is just clear colorless polycarb.
Yep, the couple of lightplates I've gotten were all clear plexi with a blue film for protection. No color in the actual plate itself.

K3yPr0gg3r

Ok, great info on the blue film. Do I have the installation right?

Thank you