News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

De Soldering and Solder Sucker Question

Started by Timko, May 24, 2017, 07:26:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davent

Quote from: alanp on May 24, 2017, 10:37:23 PM

You can also do this with a stainless steel dental pick -- Smallbear carry these in their Tools section.

I find a stainless steel dental pick endlessly useful for electronics but also use it doing metal work and woodworking. A must have piece of steel in the shop.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

culturejam

Quote from: Timko on May 25, 2017, 07:54:12 AM
Do you have an expensive one?  I know there's a Hakko that costs around $300, but that's a little out of my reasonable price range at the moment.

I have an older Hakko one. They are not cheap, but man do they save time (and PCBs and components!).

The newest Hakko is $259 but I think at that price it doesn't include a stand.

I see now that there is a clone of the older version I have: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071RKDKND?psc=1

And there is a big-ass station for pretty cheap: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ABJ4AEC?ie=UTF8&tag=tightcamera-20&camp=1789&linkCode=xm2&creativeASIN=B00ABJ4AEC

Damn, and other one: https://www.amazon.com/Desoldering-Station-Digital-Temperature-Controlled/dp/B00KQ6PR6K/ref=pd_sbs_469_7?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00KQ6PR6K&pd_rd_r=WZYM84D30VG42ZJFVTY3&pd_rd_w=CAPYT&pd_rd_wg=JJrxB&psc=1&refRID=WZYM84D30VG42ZJFVTY3

Apparently there are a lot of cheaper options now. No idea if they are any good, but hey!
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

galaxiex

Quote from: culturejam on May 25, 2017, 04:37:41 PM
Quote from: Timko on May 25, 2017, 07:54:12 AM
Do you have an expensive one?  I know there's a Hakko that costs around $300, but that's a little out of my reasonable price range at the moment.

I have an older Hakko one. They are not cheap, but man do they save time (and PCBs and components!).

The newest Hakko is $259 but I think at that price it doesn't include a stand.

I see now that there is a clone of the older version I have: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071RKDKND?psc=1

And there is a big-ass station for pretty cheap: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ABJ4AEC?ie=UTF8&tag=tightcamera-20&camp=1789&linkCode=xm2&creativeASIN=B00ABJ4AEC

Damn, and other one: https://www.amazon.com/Desoldering-Station-Digital-Temperature-Controlled/dp/B00KQ6PR6K/ref=pd_sbs_469_7?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00KQ6PR6K&pd_rd_r=WZYM84D30VG42ZJFVTY3&pd_rd_w=CAPYT&pd_rd_wg=JJrxB&psc=1&refRID=WZYM84D30VG42ZJFVTY3

Apparently there are a lot of cheaper options now. No idea if they are any good, but hey!

I have that S-993A solder sucker iron in the second link.

It works pretty good, just don't store it hot with the nose down like they show in the picture.
I clamp mine nose up in a small bench vise when I'm using it.

In use, I try to have the board or whatever vertical and try to *never* point the nose down, always horizontal or tipped back a bit.

I got mine a bit cheaper on ebay, tons of them there, pick where you want it shipped from.
Most of them from China but a few in NorAm.

The nature of it, makes it a fairly high maintenance tool.

The heater burned out in mine after 16 months of moderate to heavy use. (lots of modding and repair jobs)
Parts are available including the heater.
Fixed mine.... still going.... It has been the best/easiest de-soldering device I have ever used. (never owned a Hakko)
It's my "go-to" tool for de-soldering, but I still use other methods as well, sometimes....

HTH

Edit; I was really bummed when the heater quit.
Very glad to get a repair part, but I would have bought another if the heater had not been available.

Did I mention that I *like* this tool.  :)

Fear leads to Anger, Anger leads to Hate, Hate leads to Suffering.

culturejam

Quote from: galaxiex on May 25, 2017, 05:57:43 PM

It works pretty good, just don't store it hot with the nose down like they show in the picture.

In use, I try to have the board or whatever vertical and try to *never* point the nose down, always horizontal or tipped back a bit.

What's with not having it point down? Never had an issue with the old Hakko it's a clone of. I keep it in the holster while hot but not immediately being used. But honestly, I only have it on for maybe 10-15 minutes at a go. It's so fast to use that I get my work done and turn it off.

Quote from: galaxiexI got mine a bit cheaper on ebay, tons of them there, pick where you want it shipped from.

These days, I find the stuff on ebay and then see if there is an Amazon seller (preferably Prime). I'll pay an extra $20 bucks for no-hassle returns and free return shipping (for the DOA stuff). I call it "the Amazon tax". Totally worth it to me.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

nzCdog

I have a pretty neat one at work...

It really does save pcbs from damage, in some situations there's no better alternative.
But most of the time I just use a hold desolder pump, its just faster. :)

nzCdog

And back to your original question (after I'm done showing off  ::) )

The pumps just wear out.  I've used quite a few, they all wear out, expensive and cheap alike.  These motorised desolderer station tools like the Hakko require constant cleaning and pricey consumables. It's par for the course.

My favourite hand desolder pump to use was an Edsyn, but it broke prematurely so I only get cheapo ones now.

galaxiex

Quote from: culturejam on May 25, 2017, 07:08:38 PM
Quote from: galaxiex on May 25, 2017, 05:57:43 PM

What's with not having it point down? Never had an issue with the old Hakko it's a clone of. I keep it in the holster while hot but not immediately being used. But honestly, I only have it on for maybe 10-15 minutes at a go. It's so fast to use that I get my work done and turn it off.

Quote from: galaxiexI got mine a bit cheaper on ebay, tons of them there, pick where you want it shipped from.

These days, I find the stuff on ebay and then see if there is an Amazon seller (preferably Prime). I'll pay an extra $20 bucks for no-hassle returns and free return shipping (for the DOA stuff). I call it "the Amazon tax". Totally worth it to me.

I found having it point down, it tends to clog more often, needing more frequent cleaning.

Sometimes (often) I am modding an existing amp or other device and am swapping out parts to try ideas etc.
The solder sucker gets left on for quite long periods of time.
If left nose down it really does get clogged easily.

Ya, I prefer Amazon too, but at the time I bought this, there were none on Amazon (Canada) except for the Hakko at approx $300 CAD
so I turned to ebay to find something cheaper since I didn't know how much use I would get out of it.

Now I see how useful it is, if it ever breaks again, I *might* go for the more expensive brand name.
Fear leads to Anger, Anger leads to Hate, Hate leads to Suffering.

davent

These are tiny little beasts i can't imagine ever wearing out, you get another good size length of silicone tubing (i wonder where i put it0, to replace the tip As needed.

Bought mine here as it was Canada friendly.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/1597

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Timko

davent

Machined aluminum, an object of beauty, makes you feel all warm a fuzzy. Reasonably priced to boot.

dave

PaulL

I used to have one of these years ago and it was great but not suited to heavy use. Mine burnt out and the barrel snapped. Never did replace it but just seen them on Amazon for 11 quid. It did last a few years so 11 quid is not a big deal.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KEMOT-DESOLDERING-Vacuum-Manual-Electric-Soldering/dp/B00DW7B96W/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1495821253&sr=8-17&keywords=Desoldering+pump

I think I will order one now.

trotel

Quote from: davent on May 26, 2017, 09:34:05 AM
Machined aluminum, an object of beauty, makes you feel all warm a fuzzy. Reasonably priced to boot.

dave

I also have the Engineer solder sucker and agree that it works well, being small and powerful.  The silicon tube tip works great to get a seal on the component/pad and has a good spring/suction force for a small unit.

The thing I don't get about it is it the solder it pulls gets stuck in the silicon tubing and doesn't make it into the chamber (perhaps the silicon tubing cools it down too quickly?).  Therefore, the tubing needs to be cleared out manually after each use, often requiring a dental pick or other implement.

I'm fortunate to have recently picked up a used Hakko FR-300 from Pryde which is great for tasks to desolder multiple components in one go, or other tough removal tasks.

Timko

Is there a brand of solder wick people recommend?  I'm going to pick up a new solder sucker and some of that, then look at saving up for a nice solder/de-solder station.

somnif

Quote from: Timko on May 26, 2017, 11:40:12 AM
Is there a brand of solder wick people recommend?  I'm going to pick up a new solder sucker and some of that, then look at saving up for a nice solder/de-solder station.

I just use the NTE stuff my local electricians supply carries (The .075" size) and it works well for me. I add a drop of liquid flux to it before use, but past that, its great. (part number SW01-5)

gtr2

Quote from: Timko on May 26, 2017, 11:40:12 AM

I use Techspray Pro Wick.  Works fantastic.  I don't flux only some fresh solder on the joint you're working on.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer