News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Fuzz Factory - Germanium worth the cost?

Started by somnif, June 03, 2017, 11:26:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

somnif

Just a general opinion question here. I finished populating and testing a Fuzz Factory derivative (Aion Flare) and while I like the 2N3906's I've got in it, I am wondering if its worth the 20$ to tuck a pair of germanium buddies in there.

Elebcz (on ebay) has tested/matched AC128 pairs for about 18$ shipped (has 2N404's as well for about 30$ shipped). Small-bear has a number of two-transistor pairs of various flavors for various prices.

Anyone play around with different components in this circuit and have an opinion? I don't have any germanium transistor experience, and I bow to the wisdom of those who do. Is it worth 20$? Are the small-bear combo's better/worse/other from the 128's? Any opinions are welcome and appreciated.

jimilee

It's very worth it. You get all the versatility the FF is supposed to have. I have tested silicon trannies in mine, germs are definitely worth the money,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

bsoncini

I never tried silicone transistors in mine so I can't tell you which is better. I did recently build one though and bought a bunch of cheap old Russian germaniums, some mp16b's and a friend gave me some 3ax2's which I believe are Chinese. I tested their hfe's and leakage using the rg keen method of testing germaiums and tried many different germanium combos and didn't hear much difference. So I just popped some of the cheap 3ax2's in. I believe with an hfe of about80 and 110.

I don't have much experience with germaniums built a fuzz face also and I think the different hfe's and leakage was a bigger difference in the fuzz face. The fuzz factory is a fun circuit though. Many different sounds to be found.

Anyway. Not trying to take business away from small bear. But if you don't mind buying a pack of 50 Russian transistors for cheap and testing them. I think you can try many combos Ang get some fuzz faces or tonebender sets out of it too.  I think I paid 12 euros the germaniums.

somnif

Anyone have experience comparing the different flavors of germanium in it (or similar) circuits? Like, how do AC128's compare to 2N404's compare to Russian bits compare to etc etc etc.

I know the stock circuit runs mostly 128's with 404's popping up in some early examples (and in the inventobox version), but if folks feel something is "better" in some way I'd love to know. Mostly curious as I am not wealthy enough to really experiment with these costly old components for the moment. 

WormBoy

From what I have read, hfe and leakage are more important that part number. However, I never had enough of them lying around to do proper testing. As with all mojo parts, there's a lot of hype surrounding them  ;D.

Germanium does sound really different from silicon. I personally like it a lot more in fuzz face circuits, in terms of sound, sensitivity, dynamics, but YMMV.