News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

fuzz pedal sounds

Started by andomando, May 26, 2017, 08:16:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andomando

I have just purchased a guitar fuzz kit, and the seller say,s if i want a calmer distortion,resistors can be added around the potentiometer,s to tune to your liking.
My question is,,,how should i go about this as i am quite new to building pedal,s,
this pedal has four pot,s;1 x 1k lin,/2 x 10k log,with switch,/1x 50k lin.
also this has two 2n3904 transistor,s.

regard,s for any help.

nocentelli

It's a fuzzface (quite fuzzy) with diode clippers on the output to make it even more fuzzy. The 1 k gain pot could be replaced with a 2k pot (so get rid of the extra 1k resistor as well) which would allow lower gain settings, and you could replace the 10k pot attached to the diode clippers with a bigger value, e.g. 50k, which would also reduce the amount of distortion. However, it's not going to achieve anything approaching a gentle low gain overdrive sound, just a little less fuzzy.

Since this is a kit and presumably comes with all parts, I guess you might not want to order more parts on the off-chance it improves the sound. I'd suggest you maybe build this one as it is, see how you like it and either mod it in the future or use it to inform your further adventures in the land of DIY pedal making (once you start, it's hard to stop).

AntKnee

Agreed. I would suggest you build it as the kit says, then that will help you in your next fuzz build choice.

Fuzz pedals are a world of their own. There are so many variations and options. Build a couple kits, then when you're ready to source and order parts, you can really dive into the options.
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

andomando

Thank,s guy,s for your help.I will build it then see how thing,s sound,then maybe in the future when i learn more i can replace part,s,
again best regard,s to you.