News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Any auto wah use an ADSR?

Started by blearyeyes, May 26, 2017, 02:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blearyeyes

I use an auto wah software plug-in that has a threshold setting that triggers an ADSR.
It also has max and min frequency settings (toe and heel or open and closed) that lets the ADSR push the wah to a preset MAX frequency. (stuck wah) The effect is such that any drop in level below he threshold setting allows the wah to close per your Release settings on the ADSR.

Basically I love this thing and wish I could make a pedal, or find a design that does basically the same thing.
From what I know most auto wahs use an envelope follower..unless I'm mistaken?

stecykmi

good question, there are none that i know of but keep in mind that a plucked string's envelope will look a lot like a typical ADSR envelope. a simpler attack/decay control setup (which are more common) may be all you need for most guitar applications since you can sorta fake the extra controls with picking and a threshold/intensity control. the primary reason a synth needs an ADSR envelope is because synth oscillators are either on/off with no other control over the volume.

blearyeyes

Playing fast lead guitar makes the envelope of the string pluck moot. But I understand your point. I recorded this plugin. I'll try to post a link.

http://www.shattuckforensics.com/music/can_i_still_play.m4a

alanp

Really accurate envelope followers are a pain in the ass in analog hardware.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

blearyeyes

Quote from: alanp on May 28, 2017, 02:06:05 AM
Really accurate envelope followers are a pain in the ass in analog hardware.

I really don't like envelope followers. The above link has the plug-in I'm talking about.
Hadn't played in a long time, wanted to see if my fingers still worked. Like riding a bike.

blearyeyes