News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Epic Phany (Big Muff)

Started by KingDaddy, June 08, 2017, 01:16:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

culturejam

Quote from: PaulL on June 09, 2017, 06:45:53 AM
I found out about the American use of the word fanny when an American colleague was telling me about a fight he got into and said " the guy pushed be back and I fell straight on my fanny"  I spent the next 30 seconds wondering if he was some sort of mutant transsexual.

I've posted this before, but I'll do it again since it's topical:

In college, I was in a dorm that paired each local student with an international student. There was a gang of kids from Hull University, and I spent a lot of time (practically all my time) with them. I learned a lot of good slang terms (and just general vocabulary differences) from that lot. But fanny wasn't one of them. So in January of that year (second semester), there was a cold snap and lots of ice all over campus. NC is gash at dealing with any sort of snow/ice, so the whole place was like a skating rink. I see one of the Hull girls walking toward the bus stop outside the dorm, and she slips pretty hard. Flies right up in the air and lands on her....arse. So I hurried over and helped her up, and then said, "Are you okay? Looks like your fanny took the brunt of the fall."  Man, the look on her face was priceless. I knew I had said something wrong, I just couldn't figure out what it was. Had a good laugh over it later, but she was cross with me for a bit.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

mrclean77

KingDaddy

Quote from: culturejam on June 09, 2017, 10:18:46 AM
I've posted this before, but I'll do it again since it's topical:

In college, I was in a dorm that paired each local student with an international student. There was a gang of kids from Hull University, and I spent a lot of time (practically all my time) with them. I learned a lot of good slang terms (and just general vocabulary differences) from that lot. But fanny wasn't one of them. So in January of that year (second semester), there was a cold snap and lots of ice all over campus. NC is gash at dealing with any sort of snow/ice, so the whole place was like a skating rink. I see one of the Hull girls walking toward the bus stop outside the dorm, and she slips pretty hard. Flies right up in the air and lands on her....arse. So I hurried over and helped her up, and then said, "Are you okay? Looks like your fanny took the brunt of the fall."  Man, the look on her face was priceless. I knew I had said something wrong, I just couldn't figure out what it was. Had a good laugh over it later, but she was cross with me for a bit.

Priceless!