News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Fat pants jr. HELP!

Started by chris weaver, June 13, 2017, 09:24:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris weaver

This is my first build, I've wired up pickups & switches before, but this is a tad different. If someone could 1st take a look at my board to see any problems build/solderwise & 2nd advise me on how to trouble shoot, what steps to take where to begin etc. Thanks!
A caricature is putting the face of a joke on the body of a truth. Joseph Conrad

Aleph Null

1) What exactly is the issue you are experiencing?
2) How are you testing? Are you wiring the input/output directly to jacks, or are you using a bypass switch?
3) Have you tried different with different guitars or amps? Have you tried using a different power source or battery?

chris weaver

I had it all wired up, (inputs led power etc) but I wasn't getting any power to the footswitch. I get 9v coming in, but checking the voltage on the charge pump chip didn't match anything close to what is in the build guide. I'm not familiar enough with the process of verifying current flow is correct. How should i proceed? 
A caricature is putting the face of a joke on the body of a truth. Joseph Conrad

chris weaver

I'm using a 9v plug in power source.

BrianS

I don't see any problem with components but resistor values are hard to see.

Reflow all your joints.  Hook it back up so we can see how you had it wired.  Make sure you clean up all trace solder around the pads (it takes very little to bridge a pad and some look close to being bridged). 

To check voltages ground your meter, power the board and use the positive lead and touch each pin on IC and the 201. Record your findings and post them.

Google how to make an audio probe or use the tutorial that Madbean made here (http://www.madbeanpedals.com/tutorials/downloads/Making_a_Prototyping_Rig.pdf). 
This is one of the essential pieces you will need to trouble shoot a build.

Just for future reference, always socket your ICs and transistors. Soldering boards compared to pups and guitar related things is different.  Some components do not take heat well, i.e., ICs and transistors.  If you fried either one it is a bitch to get them out without damaging the board, most of the time.  Of course if you have a desolder station then it's all good.  The sockets just make it super easy to replace something that's bad.

Last where did you get your J201 from?

chris weaver

Yes in the future i'm going to socket IC for sure, I got it at small bear btw. I went back, reflowed (?) the solder and did get the correct readings on the ic ( the build guide showed the dot at the bottom, so pins were a little confusing at first) I rewired the footswitch and will connect everything tonight! Thanks for all the help, it's hard to know what questions to ask when you are starting.

BrianS

You had a ? Mark behind reflow. If you're asking what that means it's to go back and rehit all your joints with the soldering iron.  If the pedal doesn't work that's one of the first things I normally do just to eliminate a cold joint.

If you got your 201 from SB then it's good.  Just trying to alleviate another question if you couldn't get it going.

Good luck tonight on hooking it up.  Hope it works.

wgc

You did a nice job overall esp not having worked on pcbs before.

I did not look at values or orientation of anything but I do have some feedback on the soldering. Nothing to feel bad about, it's just practice and knowing what to look for.

There's a bunch of solder splatter and smear, possibly from removing wires, but there could easily be a short in those areas.

There's also some possible cold solder joints on the IC, esp pins 1-4, and the diode just above it. 

Tin your tip, be sure to heat both the lead and the pad, add solder, remove the iron and the solder. A good timing target for doing this is about 3-4 seconds with about a 700f heat setting.  You want to be sure the work is hot enough to melt the solder too, and not just the iron.

Wouldn't hurt to reflow everything.

And if you haven't done it already, before wiring a switch in, just wire your in and out jacks direct to the pcb. That way you can rule out any wiring mistakes at the switch, which can be easy to do, and be sure that the pcb works.
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

chris weaver

The ? Was because I'm not sure that's what it's called. I cleaned it up but new issue..works perfect in bypass, nothing in the on position...sheesh. Tomorrow I'll wire it direct to rule out the board. I biased the transistor and had no issue. I also didn't hook up the led yet because I need to figure out how I want it in the enclosure. I'll let y'all know & thanks again

chris weaver

Never mind, it seems that if you plug into the correct jack it works...duh...fresh morning brain seemed to help

jimilee

Quote from: chris weaver on June 15, 2017, 05:43:42 AM
Never mind, it seems that if you plug into the correct jack it works...duh...fresh morning brain seemed to help
Welcome to the club, I can't assure you, it's not exclusive. My last troubleshoot lasted about 2 days before I realized the guitar was not plugged in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

BrianS

So it's working?  If yes fantastic. And as Jim said you will find you do a lot of  :o kinds of things.  It comes with the territory and everyone has done it.  It's no big deal.  And if you continue to do this I can almost guarantee you will do this same thing again LOL.

chris weaver

Yes it does work, I need to put some graphics on the box, and order a knob for the pot (the ONE thing I forgot). I played it for my buddy & he said it's "Zeppelin In a Box" hahaha Thanks again guys...now for my next project?

BrianS

Awesome. Good luck on your next build.