News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Clone Theory in a 1590B

Started by EBK, June 13, 2017, 02:57:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EBK

Thanks.  I've used a 1590BS for a couple of builds in the past where I didn't want to go to a 125B.  The BS size is nice in that it  allows you to have a board  over top of the stomp switch without interfering.  I've also used the 1590BBS before (same depth in a BB footprint).  There is also a 1590B2, which is in between the depth of the B and BS sizes.  Haven't tried that one.  It's nice to have so many options available.

But, this one goes in a 1590B purely out of principle. ;)
(That's the first build, not the current build.)
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

dan.schumaker

Quote from: BrianS on July 21, 2017, 06:49:24 AM
Don't know if this would be of any interest to you but Arrow has 1590BS enclosures which would give you 15mm of extra height.  I know you boxed one up in a "B" but just thought I would pass this to you.  I myself would go nuts trying to measure it out for fit lol. 

https://www.arrow.com/en/products/1590bs/hammond-manufacturing

I knew VFE was using these on his newer pedals, I didn't know that they were available for us common folk yet.  I want to try a few, let me top mount my jacks in a 1590B size.

EBK

Mouser sells the BS sizes too, but not the B2.

I top mounted some jacks in a 1590BS, but I had to carve away some of the box.  I'll dig up a pic....

(Circuit is the 4316-based One Knob Squeezer on THAT Corp.'s pedal page:
http://www.thatcorp.com/pedals/index.html)
The carving of the box may have been necessitated by poor planning (can't remember), and it might be possible to fit the jacks with the box intact....

No idea why I used a stereo input jack on a box that can't fit a battery.   ::)

There are 5 circuit boards in that one pedal, by the way (if you count that SMD adapter as one).
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

BrianS

Quote from: dan.schumaker on July 21, 2017, 07:18:47 AM

I knew VFE was using these on his newer pedals, I didn't know that they were available for us common folk yet.  I want to try a few, let me top mount my jacks in a 1590B size.

After my debacle with the Pale Horse and soldering the $4 relay upside down I am going to use the BS on anymore VFE boards I build just so I can socket the chips on the switching board and not worry about interference.  That was a really bonehead mistake I made.

The only thing with the boxes at Arrow is they never have a large stock on hand, i.e., 1 1590BS in stock now.  I'm sure they would back order them for you though.

Mouser has them also.
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Hammond-Manufacturing/1590BS/?qs=XJfXErqHgA44uLtDf%2FoQjw%3D%3D

Didn't mean to hijack your thread.

EBK

Quote from: BrianS on July 21, 2017, 08:36:34 AM
Didn't mean to hijack your thread.
Seems useful and relevant, so not a problem.  More people should be made aware of the existence of these enclosure sizes so they have options to more efficiently use pedalboard space, especially if you see them as "like a 1590B, except the jacks can be end-mounted."

EBK

Fixed the cap values.  Thanks again, Scruffie!

Here are a couple pics of the switches and jacks.  The switches were placed with the same drill template from the first build.  The jacks were placed by careful measurement and calculation aided by digital calipers.

The main board will still overlap the jacks a bit, but much less than in my first build.  The output jack had to be filed on one side to accommodate the DC jack, which is right against the corner post boss.  I'll post a pic of this later.

Not sure yet whether I will still need to file down the lap joint flange on the lid (probably).

Once I get to editing my graphics file, I'll create a drill template for the jacks in case there is eventually another build of this (by me or anyone else).

Boba7

Thanks for sharing, I don't think I'll build one anytime soon but it's so great to look at your work!! Amazing.

EBK

Quote from: Boba7 on July 22, 2017, 08:28:17 AM
Thanks for sharing, I don't think I'll build one anytime soon but it's so great to look at your work!! Amazing.
Glad you're enjoying!   :D

As promised, here are some pics of the filed down output jack:

And here is some more detail of the fit with the DC jack:

Finally, one more hole had to be drilled for the LED after the switch and jack placement was squared away.  I just eyeballed its placement, allowing for some working room all the way around it:

Adjusted the graphics. I don't remember consciously deciding to increase the size of my brand logo, but I'll just go with it:

EBK

For the sake of completeness, here is my second build, all done:

A rather uneventful gutshot (you've already seen the guts in a previous post) showing that the main board, with gaffers tape insulator, is pretty much flush with the walls of the enclosure...

...which is why the lid looks like this:

I feel that this build turned out much better than the first one did.  To return to the original story a bit, the guitarist who received my first build will eventually get this one as a replacement, and I will fix up the first build for myself.