News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Liquid Eternity Chorus (SCH-1 clone)

Started by Rockhorst, June 15, 2017, 10:58:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rockhorst

Here's a finished Liquid Eternity chorus, based on the Arion SCH-1. Differences are minute: I kept it mono and added a rate led. The sound is 100% identical to the original. I designed this pcb a while ago, but never got to populating it until a few weeks back. It's the second iteration of the pcb, first one had a wrong connection. I'm thinking of a final revision that moves the pots downwards a bit on the pcb to balance it a bit better. The moment of intertia on the lower side is a bit high, which causes the pcb to tilt. I think it will be fine, but it puts stress on the solder joints of the pots. Pictures:

As you can see, I originally called it the Liquid Helium. Wasn't too fond of the name. When Ayreon's The Source came out two months back, it renamed it the Liquid Eternity in it's honor. I'm not going to go into details, but it has to do with the storyline of the album. Best album of the year, I don't expect anything to top it (at least in the metal world) this year. Allow me to plug it here:

If anyone's interested: there's one more pcb before I have to order more. Shoot me a pm.

diablochris6

Very cool PCB topography. I usually go for the "cram all the components where they fit no matter the orientation" look on my boards. The color scheme on the outside is great too. Is that blue hammertone paint?
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

Philthy

Rockhorst

Quote from: diablochris6 on June 15, 2017, 06:25:43 PM
Very cool PCB topography. I usually go for the "cram all the components where they fit no matter the orientation" look on my boards.
This circuit design can be broken down in a few obvious blocks. That helps a lot. And my bit of OCD just likes a certain degree of symmetry and alignment. Really, it's not much more work than 'random' placement ;) One thing I noticed with this pcb in particular is that it's big and it takes a bit of work to get it populated but...it's actually a really easy build. Components are easy to find and nicely spaced. I've taken the size of big Wima box caps into account for certain values, something most other PCBs don't (they assume ceramics for values under 1nF where I prefer Wima).
Quote from: diablochris6 on June 15, 2017, 06:25:43 PMThe color scheme on the outside is great too. Is that blue hammertone paint?

I don't know the name of the color/finish but it's a shade of purple from PPP. The texture is sort of like 100 grid sand paper, not really hammertone. It's pretty (and it automatically makes your photos look like an instagram filter :P )

stringsthings

All You Need Is Love

jubal81

Massively impressive! Great work, bud.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

beneharris

I love Ayreon, amazing cd. Great build, too!

nzCdog

Cool enclosure finish... is that ink and stamp, silkscreen, something else?

nzCdog