News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Aion Aurora Comp

Started by JC103, June 21, 2017, 06:43:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JC103

Sourcing parts at the moment. If I were to use a 1megC pot* for the sustain control... would it provide more action at max compression or low compression? I can never remember how the tapers work.

Also, does anyone have a Boss CS-2 parts list? I'm trying to get that classic Boss vibe out of the Aurora (sans BA662).

*build doc calls for a 500kC

somnif

Ok, so in Linear 100k taper, the knob is at 50k at 50%

In a log/audio taper, the res is at 10k at 50%

In rev.log, the res is 90k at 50%

So its more a matter of which part of the resistance do you need fine control over. If you want finer control (more knob twistability) in the low resistance ranges, or high resistance ranges.

In the case of the Aurora(stock), you would have 0-450k in the first half of the twist, 450k-500 in the second half. If you were to put in a 1MC, you would go 0 to 500k in the first 10% of the pot.

Unfortunately I don't know the circuit well enough to recommend a replacement. That said you can get 500kC pots some places, just not in the 90-degree pcb mount style we like.

somnif

As for the CS-2, is this what you were looking for? http://www.hobby-hour.com/electronics/s/cs2-compression-sustainer.php
I don't have anything that lays it out to Ross/Dynacomp part numbers for comparison I'm afraid, but you can compare the schematics with that at least.

JC103

Thanks for the info! By the looks of that schematic the CS-2 has a 1mC sustain pot. Hmm, this could explain why it is so hard to set a minimal amount of compression on that pedal. I think I'll stick with the 500kC from the Aurora.