News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

International shipping of PCBs

Started by BuGG, June 25, 2017, 05:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BuGG

Could someone show me the type of envelope/mailer Madbean uses to ship a PCB internationally?

I've managed to pull it off with bubble mailers in the past but never felt very confident about them....  I have a small handful of boards to ship overseas and was curious what the best method would be.

bsoncini

I don't have one laying around but it's an envelope with bubble wrap inside. Living in Europe. I've ordered many PCBs from the US and they were all shipped this way and I've never had a problem.

BuGG

Ahh okay cool, so something similar to this then?

bsoncini

Yes. Often the PCBs are put in a bag which is taped inside the envelope so they don't move around.

BuGG

Hey thanks a lot for the info, that's what I needed to know!     

That's basically how I've been doing it in the past, I reckon I'll continue on the same way.

thesmokingman

the recent changes in USPS policy can definitely damage your wallet. I mailed a rustbucket to the UK in a padded envelope and because it wasn't "machinable" due to the rigidity of the PCB, I got hit with $13.50 worth of first class shipping on what should have been a letter now becoming a parcel(and lost my ass on that sale to boot). even domestically they've started upcharging me due to "machinability" of an envelope containing a pcb.
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

BuGG

That's the sort of thing I'm afraid of...  I don't have too much trouble domestically at the moment.

I can't, under any circumstances, get the post office to ship a PCB as a "flat" if I walk up to the counter...  If I print postage with Stamps.com I have no trouble whatsoever.

Willybomb

So... I shouldn't be putting them in greeting cards?

diablochris6

I don't think I've ever had a problem with taping the PCB to a piece of paper, folding it up, and placing it in a standard envelope. I write,"Do not bend. Non-machinable" on the envelope and pay for the non-machinable postage at the self-service kiosk.
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

flanagan0718

Quote from: diablochris6 on June 26, 2017, 12:08:23 AM
I don't think I've ever had a problem with taping the PCB to a piece of paper, folding it up, and placing it in a standard envelope. I write,"Do not bend. Non-machinable" on the envelope and pay for the non-machinable postage at the self-service kiosk.

This is the same thing I do. Never had an issue either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kgull

Quote from: flanagan0718 on June 26, 2017, 01:29:18 AM
Quote from: diablochris6 on June 26, 2017, 12:08:23 AM

This is the same thing I do. Never had an issue either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here, I just buy the nonmachineable stamps in quantity. https://store.usps.com/store/browse/uspsProductDetailMultiSkuDropDown.jsp?productId=S_119504

It's nice because the math works out that the cost of two butterfly stamps ($1.40) is close enough to international postage + nonmachineable surcharge ($1.15 + $0.21 = $1.36) that I can just use two butterflies for international shipping and not bother with going to the post office. Sure, I'm down $0.04 but it's totally worth not having to argue with a clerk about shipping costs. Haven't had any shipping issues since I've started doing that.