News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mounting a PCB to an enclosure

Started by Timko, June 26, 2017, 02:14:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timko

I'm working on a build with solder lug potentiometers.  I'm going to use the double sided foam tape to attach the PCB to the pots, but because all of the pots are on one side of the enclosure, the other end of the board is just floating.  Is there some trick that people would suggest on connecting the board to the enclosure?  I'm trying to avoid drilling some sort of stanchion.  I was thinking of just stacking that double sided foam tape, but I'm sure there's a better way that people have discovered.

WormBoy

Stacking double-sided tape works, but you need to stack quite a bit. In similar situations, I have used regular foam (such as packaging foam and the stuff used for soundproofing) with double-sided tape on both sides. Plus if you're the belt-and-suspenders type, some foam on the other side of the PCB as well (in between PCB and bottom plate of enclosure) to make sure it stays put  8). You can also consider sticking the PCB to the bottom plate instead of to the pots, and use longer runs of wire. Options, options ...

wgc

I've seen people use JB weld to attach standoffs inside the enclosure.  This assumes there's appropriate holes in the pcb though.
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

Soup39

GuitarPCB sells "pcb mounts"  that attach to the PCB and use tape to attach to the enclosure.  http://www.guitarpcb.com/apps/webstore/products/show/6644498

Foam tape is thick enough to act as a standoff AND double sided.