News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Ticking in Stomptown Harmonic Percolator

Started by matmosphere, June 28, 2017, 07:51:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matmosphere

I'm getting a loud ticking when I test out the circuit. There is audio signal passing through but it seems to be muted. I noticed that disconnecting the 9v wire makes the ticking slow down for a few seconds before stopping. Disconnecting the ground is similar but the ticking gets much louder. The build is pretty much stock except I didn't have a 2n3565 so I used a 2n3694 that was ~ 120 hfe.

Has anybody encountered an issue like this before on a percolator? I'm guessing that the problem is a cap in the power section because audio passes.

Just thought I'd see if anybody had a similar issue before I launch into troubleshooting this one.

Addy Bart

I've built Stomptown's Germ-o-phobe a couple of times and although I've not experienced ticking sounds, I did need to flip Q1 180 degrees.

But yes, sounds like something is up with the power section.

Stomptown

Quote from: Addy Bart on July 05, 2017, 04:45:15 AM
I've built Stomptown's Germ-o-phobe a couple of times and although I've not experienced ticking sounds, I did need to flip Q1 180 degrees.

Interesting. I double checked the schematic and the orientation of Q1 is consistent with other schematics floating around on the web so I'm not sure why you had to flip your 180 degrees.

Addy Bart

Quote from: Stomptown on July 05, 2017, 07:30:53 AM
Quote from: Addy Bart on July 05, 2017, 04:45:15 AM

Interesting. I double checked the schematic and the orientation of Q1 is consistent with other schematics floating around on the web so I'm not sure why you had to flip your 180 degrees.

I expect my transistors were the problem, not that your layout is wrong. At low settings, it sounded gated, and at full it was pretty much a polite overdrive until I flipped Q1.