News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Icon Series #5 - Phat Boy (Bassballs into Tech21 Bassdrive)

Started by Willybomb, June 29, 2017, 08:27:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willybomb

Gudday all.

Here's my Phat Boy, a bass pedal build for a friend of mine (for whom I also built Harley's Hammer, Hyperactive Hyperdrive, and Dual Booster).

It features a Bassballs on vero, with the distortion on that effect sent to a footswitch, and Brejna's Bassdrive PCB with XLR and 1/4 outs.  Base coat of black etching primer, laser waterproof sticker, cleared with Rustoleum motospray lacquer.  Too much of the lacquer will yellow the whites, so it only has a single coat on top.  Lightly baked at ~30c for half an hour or so.  The knobs I got for it didn't fit, so it has some regular taydas on the preamp side.  Fairly happy.

Very crucial to use the 1458 in the Bassballs or you won't get the filters happening.

Thanks,
Willy.

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Willybomb on June 29, 2017, 08:27:00 AM
Very crucial to use the 1458 in the Bassballs or you won't get the filters happening.

I have seen this quite a bit. Are there ANY subs for the 1458s that will work in some filter builds? (i.e. Baseballs, Meatball, etc.)

Sweet build also  ;)

Willybomb

QuoteI have seen this quite a bit. Are there ANY subs for the 1458s that will work in some filter builds? (i.e. Baseballs, Meatball, etc.)

I don't think so.  I tried a couple of other op amps (tl072, NE5532) and got nothing at all in terms of effect. I also built a Doctor Q as it has a smaller footprint and had the same results.  Didn't like it that much, so the Bassballs went in.

storyboardist

Guy behind Effects Layouts

wgc

always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

alanp

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on June 29, 2017, 08:38:39 AM
I have seen this quite a bit. Are there ANY subs for the 1458s that will work in some filter builds? (i.e. Baseballs, Meatball, etc.)

Slew rate would be my guess. The 1458 is an older opamp than the TL072.

Very nice looking build! Never actually played Fallout, myself...
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

warriorpoet

Mzo.FX, Owner

Haberdasher

Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

peAk

nzCdog